Royal Air Maroc’s Oneworld membership will begin in April
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Oneworld, the airline alliance anchored by American Airlines and British Airways, announced Wednesday that Royal Air Maroc will officially join the group starting April 1.
Royal Air Maroc will be the first African airline to join Oneworld, and its inclusion in the group was first tentatively announced in December 2018.
“We are honored and delighted to welcome Royal Air Maroc into the alliance, adding our first full member in the fast-growing African continent. The quality service and global network offered by Royal Air Maroc will position Oneworld as the preferred alliance in Africa, where Casablanca is a leading global financial center,” Oneworld CEO Rob Gurney said in a statement.
Royal Air Maroc, the first new airline to become a full Oneworld member since 2014, carried about 7.5 million passengers in 2019.
Royal Air Maroc had previously announced a codeshare partnership with American Airlines, a move that came as Royal Air Maroc worked toward membership in the alliance during a 15-month “implementation program.” With the codeshare agreement, American and Royal Air Maroc can sell tickets on each other’s flights under their own flight numbers. American also recently announced its first service to Africa.
With a hub at Casablanca, Royal Air Maroc will give American and its other Oneworld partners more access to destinations in Morocco and Africa. Royal Air Maroc currently flies from Casablanca to four U.S. destinations: Boston, Miami, New York JFK and Washington Dulles.
The other full members of Oneworld are Cathay Pacific, Finnair, Iberia, Japan Airlines, LATAM, Malaysia Airlines, Qantas, Qatar Airways, Royal Jordanian, SriLankan and Russian carrier S7.
Qatar Airways was the most recent airline to join as a full member, gaining entry in 2012. But the group also will lose a member later this year with South American giant LATAM. That carrier said it will leave the group — likely by October — after Delta acquired a stake in LATAM, which had previously been aligned with American — a founding member of Oneworld.
TPG previously reported that Royal Air Maroc would become part of Oneworld on March 31.
Featured photo by Brendan Dorsey/The Points Guy.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 50,000 bonus miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new card in the first three months of card membership. Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at U.S. restaurants in the first three months of card membership.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Earn 50,000 Bonus Miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months.
- Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at U.S. restaurants with your card within the first 3 months of membership.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees