Royal Air Maroc will join Oneworld on March 31
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Update (Jan. 15, 2020): Royal Air Maroc’s Oneworld membership to begin in April 1
Royal Air Maroc will join the Oneworld alliance on March 31, 2020, according to a report from French publication Air Journal, making it the alliance’s first on the African continent.
“Our systems were at a higher level which facilitated their alignment with those of the Alliance; but also through the great efforts made by our teams, who were mobilized to make this grandiose project a success for Royal Air Maroc and for the Kingdom,” Hamid Addou, CEO of Royal Air Maroc, said in a statement translated from French.
Royal Air Maroc serves more than 100 destinations in 49 countries, allowing Oneworld to add 34 new destinations and 21 countries to its map, bringing its network to 1,069 airports in 178 countries and territories, according to Air Journal.
This comes just weeks after American Airlines and Royal Air Maroc launched a new codeshare partnership, an airline’s ability to sell flights operated by another carrier under its own flight number, ahead of American’s first foray into Africa.
The carriers began codesharing on certain routes across each other’s networks on Dec. 26, as TPG’s Edward Russell reported last month. Routes covered include Royal Air Maroc’s between the U.S. and Casablanca (CMN) as well as onward service to Marrakech (RAK) in Morocco, and select American routes in the U.S.
The codeshare will expand to additional routes in 2020, including Royal Air Maroc service to Abidjan, Cote d’Ivoire (ABJ), Lagos, Nigeria (LOS), and Luanda, Angola (LAD).
Africa is a growth market for U.S. carriers. United returned to the continent after a multi-year hiatus with seasonal service to Cape Town (CPT), which began last month. Delta serves four cities in Africa — Accra (ACC) in Ghana, Dakar (DSS) in Senegal, Johannesburg (JNB), and Lagos (LOS) in Nigeria — and has grown capacity annually for the past several years, Cirium schedules show.
Featured image courtesy of Brendan Dorsey / The Points Guy
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new card in the first three months of card membership. Offer ends 11/10/2021.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer expires 11/10/2021.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees