American seeks bigger Africa presence with Royal Air Maroc codeshare
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
American Airlines is mapping out its plans to expand in Africa, with a new codeshare with Royal Air Maroc to complement its new service to Casablanca next year.
American and Royal Air Maroc applied for authority with the U.S. Department of Transportation on Friday to codeshare across their networks. That includes on American’s new flight between Philadelphia (PHL) and Casablanca (CMN) that begins in June. The partnership would allow each carrier to place a flight number on certain flights operated by the other, allowing more seamless bookings and mileage accrual for travelers.
The exact details of the partnership will not be disclosed until after it is approved. However, the airlines’ application lists potential future codeshare markets, including Abidjan (ABJ) in Côte d’Ivoire, Bamako (BKO) in Mali and Cotonou (COO) in Benin.
The codeshare is also a precursor to Royal Air Maroc’s entry into the Oneworld alliance, which is expected to occur in 2020.
When American begins flights to Casablanca in June, the destination will be its first in Africa. The destination was selected as a “first step to us really developing an Africa network,” in part, due to Royal Air Maroc’s hub in the city, American’s vice-president of network and schedule planning Vasu Raja said in August.
American has a very limited codeshare network in Africa today. The airline places its code on British Airways and Iberia flights to just eight cities on the continent, a fraction of those offered by competitors Delta Air Lines and United Airlines, according to Cirium schedule data.
The number of cities in Africa that American offers codeshare flights to could jump to more than 50 under the proposed tie-up with Royal Air Maroc. Most would be served via a connection in Casablanca.
Africa is a growth market for U.S. carriers. United will return to the continent after a multi-year hiatus with seasonal service to Cape Town (CPT) from December. Delta serves four cities in Africa — Accra (ACC) in Ghana, Dakar (DSS) in Senegal, Johannesburg (JNB), and Lagos (LOS) in Nigeria — and has grown capacity annually for the past several years, Cirium schedules show.
The DOT typically approves codeshare applications, almost ensuring that American and Royal Air Maroc’s partnership will move forward.
Featured image by Nicolas Economou/SOPA Images/LightRocket via Getty Images.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer ends 8/3/2022.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 bonus miles after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer ends 8/3/2022.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs up to two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide including takeout and delivery in the U.S., and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $80 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA PreCheck® after you apply through any Authorized Enrollment Provider. If approved for Global Entry, at no additional charge, you will receive access to TSA PreCheck.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees