American Airlines Lands in Africa, Returns to Tel Aviv Amid Transatlantic Expansion
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
American Airlines will begin its first-ever route to Africa and return to Tel Aviv, among five new transatlantic routes planned for 2020.
The Oneworld Alliance carrier will add five routes from its Chicago O’Hare (ORD), Dallas/Fort Worth (DFW) and Philadelphia (PHL) hubs:
- ORD – Budapest, Hungary (BUD): four-times weekly on a Boeing 787-8 from May 7 to Oct. 24
- ORD – Krakow, Poland (KRK): five-times weekly on a 787-8 from May 7 to Oct. 23
- ORD – Prague, Czech Republic (PRG): five-times weekly on a 787-8 from May 8 to Oct. 24
- DFW – Tel Aviv (TLV): three-times weekly on a 787-9 year-round from Sept. 9
- PHL – Casablanca, Morocco (CMN): three-times weekly on a Boeing 757-200 from June 4 to Sept. 8
Casablanca will be American’s first ever destination in Africa. The airline will also be the only US carrier to the city, which is a hub for pending Oneworld alliance member Royal Air Maroc. The Moroccan airline is due to become a full alliance member in 2020.
American passengers will be able to connect to at least 30 Royal Air Maroc destinations in Africa unserved by other Oneworld member airlines over Casablanca. Cities include Abidjan (ABJ) in Ivory Coast, Bamako (BKO) in Mali, and Cotonou (COO) in Benin, according to Diio by Cirium schedule data.
Royal Air Maroc serves Boston (BOS), Miami (MIA), New York John F. Kennedy (JFK) and Washington Dulles (IAD) from Casablanca, the Diio data shows.
American’s new Tel Aviv flight comes four years after it ended service to the Israeli city from Philadelphia in January 2016. The airline said in a statement that demand to Tel Aviv “continues to grow” as one of its reasons for returning to the airport.
The new Budapest and Prague flights complement seasonal service that American launched from Philadelphia this year. Krakow is a new destination for the carrier.
American will compete with LOT Polish Airlines between Chicago and both Budapest and Krakow, according to Diio schedules.
Featured image by Nicolas Economou/NurPhoto via Getty Images.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new card in the first three months of card membership. Offer ends 11/10/2021.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer expires 11/10/2021.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees