LATAM Airlines sets timeline for Oneworld departure
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
The Santiago, Chile-based carrier has notified Oneworld that it intends to leave the alliance by Oct. 1, 2020, a LATAM Airlines Group spokesperson and Oneworld spokeswoman Ghim-Lay Yeo confirmed to TPG. The date is in line with the alliance’s one-year notice period.
Oneworld will provide any further guidance if the date changes, added Yeo.
The departure from Oneworld comes as LATAM forges a new strategic partnership with Delta Air Lines. The deal, which includes a $2 billion equity investment from the SkyTeam Alliance member, signaled an end to the South American giant’s long-standing partnership with American Airlines. LATAM and American have said they will terminate their codeshare by year-end.
Despite LATAM’s exit from Oneworld, the airline plans to retain many of its partnerships with individual members. LATAM executives said in September that, for example, they intended to keep their commercial relationships with the likes of British Airways and Qatar Airways.
LATAM’s departure could still shake up alliance perks currently enjoyed by travelers. At Qantas, for example, the Australian carrier said that once LATAM leaves the group, its customers will lose the ability to earn elite status credits, even on flights where they may be able to earn award points. The disclosure was part of Qantas’ update that detailed LATAM’s projected exit from the alliance.
Specific details of these LATAM’s bilateral agreements have yet to be released by either LATAM or other Oneworld member airlines. However, LATAM and American are not expected to cooperate in any capacity as LATAM exits the group.
Featured image by Rafael Luiz Canossa/Wikimedia Commons.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: Up to 100,000 bonus miles
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,040
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 3X miles on United® purchases
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 80K bonus miles after you spend $5,000 on purchases in the first 3 months your account is open. Plus, an additional 20K bonus miles after you spend $10,000 in the first 6 months
- $250 Annual Fee
- Earn 3X miles on United® purchases, 2X miles at restaurants, on select streaming services & all other travel, 1X on all other purchases
- Earn 3X miles on United Airlines purchases
- Earn 2X miles at restaurants and on select streaming services
- Earn 2X miles on all other travel
- Earn 1X mile on all other purchases
- Each year, receive a $125 credit on United® purchases and two 5k-mile anniversary award flight credits. Terms apply.