How to refer friends and earn points, miles or cash credits
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Editor’s note: This post has been updated with the latest credit card information. The information for Discover products has been collected independently by The Points Guy.
When you think about how to earn points and miles, the first things that come to mind are probably hitting sign-up bonuses/welcome offers, racking up everyday spending on credit cards or booking travel to earn specific loyalty program points and miles.
However, you can also rack up an impressive amount of points and miles each year simply by helping your friends and family get into the points and miles game.
Whenever I explain to my friends and family members how I travel so much (almost) for free, their eyes typically start to glaze over. It doesn’t help that I start using terms such as award chart sweet spots and transferable point currencies, but it can all be overwhelming to those just getting started in the hobby. However, there are many ways for you to ease your loved ones into the points and miles game and get a little bonus for yourself at the same time.
Today, I want to go through my favorite ways to refer your friends and family members to various products and services plus earn miles, points or cash for yourself simultaneously.
Probably the most popular way to earn referral bonuses is through the credit cards you already have in your wallet. Without hitting spending requirements, all you have to do is share a link with friends and family, and you could earn hundreds of dollars in referral points each year. A couple of the major issuers make it very easy for you to refer friends or family members for select cards:
Many of American Express’ most popular cards allow current account holders to earn bonus points. Even better, you can refer people for any Amex card — even if you don’t have the card yourself. This means that I can refer a friend with a code from my The Platinum Card® from American Express, and my friend can choose from several Amex and Amex cobranded cards, rather than only being able to apply for the Platinum.
To see if your cards are eligible, log in to your online account, select a card and scroll down past the account summary. If that particular card offers a referral credit, you should see a bar with an offer. Additionally, you can log into your account from Amex’s referral page to see if your card has an eligible referral offer. Currently, Amex has a handful of elevated referral offers on some of its cards.
Here are just a few examples of Amex cards that are eligible for referral bonuses:
- The Platinum Card® from American Express: 20,000 Membership Rewards points for each approved referral — up to 55,000 Membership Rewards points per calendar year
- American Express® Gold Card: 30,000 Membership Rewards points for each approved referral — up to 55,000 Membership Rewards points per calendar year
- The Blue Business® Plus Card from American Express: 10,000 Membership Rewards points for each approved referral — up to 55,000 Membership Rewards points per calendar year
- Delta SkyMiles® Gold American Express Card: 15,000 bonus miles for each approved referral — up to 55,000 miles per calendar year
- Delta SkyMiles® Reserve American Express Card: 7,500 bonus miles for each approved referral — up to 55,000 miles per calendar year
- Hilton Honors American Express Surpass® Card: 20,000 Hilton Honors points for each approved referral — up to 80,000 bonus points per calendar year
- Hilton Honors American Express Card: 15,000 Hilton Honors points for each approved referral — up to 80,000 bonus points per calendar year
Capital One offers a referral program for a broad range of their personal credit cards. To get started, visit their refer-a-friend page and log onto your Capital One account to get your unique referral link to send to friends and family.
According to Capital One, you’re eligible to send referral links for the following cards and if your account is in good standing. Note that the bonuses will change depending on the card:
- Capital One Quicksilver Cash Rewards Credit Card
- Capital One QuicksilverOne Cash Rewards Credit Card
- Capital One Savor Cash Rewards Credit Card*
- Capital One SavorOne Cash Rewards Credit Card
- Capital One Venture Rewards Credit Card
- Capital One VentureOne Rewards Credit Card
- Capital One Platinum Credit Card
- Capital One Platinum Secured Credit Card
For example, if you own the Capital One Venture Rewards Credit Card, you can currently earn 60,000 bonus miles after your spend $3,000 in the first three months of account opening. Based on TPG valuations, bonus is worth $1020.
*The information for these cards has been collected independently by The Points Guy. The card details on this page have not been reviewed or provided by the card issuer.
Chase is another issuer that offers a referral bonus across many of its cards. A dedicated refer-a-friend page on the issuer’s website lists the cards that offer referral bonuses. If you currently carry any of the applicable cards in your wallet, click on the “Invite friends now” icon and enter your last name, ZIP code, and the last four digits of your card. You can then share your personalized link or distribute it via email, Facebook or Twitter.
Here are the Chase cards currently offering referral bonuses:
- Chase Freedom Unlimited and Chase Freedom Flex: $100 cash back for each referral (up to $500 cash back per year)
- Chase Sapphire Preferred Card: 15,000 bonus points for each referral (up to 75,000 points per year)
- Chase Ink Business Credit Cards: 20,000 bonus points for each referral (up to 100,000 points per year)
- Southwest Rapid Rewards Credit Cards: 10,000 bonus points for each referral (up to 50,000 points per year)
- IHG Rewards Club Premier Credit Card: 10,000 bonus points for each referral (up to 50,000 points per year)
- United MileagePlus Credit Cards: 10,000 miles for each referral (up to 50,000 miles per year)
- Marriott Bonvoy Credit Cards: 40,000 points for each referral (up to 200,000 points per year)
- World of Hyatt Credit Card: 5,000 points per referral (up to 25,000 points per year)
- Disney Premier Visa Card: 100 Disney Rewards Dollars for each approval (up to 500 Disney Rewards Dollars per year)
- British Airways Visa Signature Card: 10,000 bonus Avios for each referral (up to 50,000 Avios per year)
- Starbucks Rewards Visa Card: 2,000 bonus stars for each referral (up to 10,000 stars per year)
The information for the Disney Premier Visa Card and the Starbucks Rewards Visa Card has been collected independently by The Points Guy. The card details on this page have not been reviewed or provided by the card issuer.
Any of these would be a nice little bonus just for turning your friends and family members onto cards that you know and love.
If you’re a Discover cardholder and your account is in good standing, you can refer your friends to get a statement credit applied to your account. The maximum referral limit and bonus amounts will depend on the card, but the statement credits will range between $50 and $100. Your referral must apply through your link and get approved for the card by Dec. 31, 2021.
The following Discover cards are eligible for this program:
- Discover it Cash Back
- Discover it Student Cash Back
- Discover it Chrome
- Discover it Chrome for Students
- Discover it Miles
- Discover More®
The information for the Discover cards has been collected independently by The Points Guy. The card details on this page have not been reviewed or provided by the card issuer.
Another way to earn referral bonuses is through loyalty programs, including accommodations and transportation loyalty accounts. While these bonuses typically aren’t as lucrative as credit card referrals, they don’t require a friend or family member to sign up for a card — which could be a selling point for some friends and family who aren’t looking to add a new card to their wallet right now.
Although Uber scrapped its referral program, Lyft still offers one. When someone signs up for Lyft through your referral link, you’ll both earn ride credit (amount will vary). You can accomplish this via the Lyft app:
- Launch the app
- Tap your profile picture or avatar at the top left
- Select Free rides
- Connect your contacts
- Select the applicable contacts you want to invite, then tap Send invites
Related: Best credit cards for Lyft and Uber
DoorDash is a popular food delivery service that offers a sweet referral program. When someone signs up for DoorDash for the first time using your referral link and places their first order over $15, you’ll get $20 in credits. Your referral will also get $10 off each of their first three orders. Note these amounts can change at anytime.
You can refer up to 25 friends for a potential of up to $375 in DoorDash credits with the current referral bonus. Once your referral meets the requirements, it can take up to 24 hours for your credits to be reflected on your account.
To get started, open your DoorDash app, click your profile photo in the upper left corner and press “Refer Friends” to get your link, shareable via email or text.
Choice Hotels is one of the few hotel loyalty programs that offer a referral bonus. Each time your referred friends join and complete their first point-eligible stay, you’ll both receive 500 bonus points.
Now, I know 500 bonus points aren’t anything to write home about. But if you know a friend who is planning on joining the program or stay for the first time with Choice Hotels on an upcoming trip, why not get some free points while you’re at it?
Simply log into your account, go to the Choice Hotels refer-a-friend page and then you can add email addresses at a time to send out referral links.
Marriott Bonvoy also offers a referral program. You can invite up to five friends each calendar year to join the Bonvoy program, and you’ll each earn 2,000 bonus points per stay after their first five stays. With this program, you could potentially earn up to 50,000 bonus points for a stay in a Category 6 hotel (on standard dates) — which is worth $400 according to TPG’s latest valuations.
Head to Marriott’s reward-a-friend landing page, hit “Send Invites,” and fill out the form. You’ll need to give the following information:
- Email addresses of anyone you want to refer
- Your first and last name (that matches your Bonvoy account)
- Your email (that matches your Bonvoy account)
- Your Marriott Bonvoy Member Number
A third way to take advantage of referral bonuses is through select online shopping portals. If you aren’t currently using these when you make purchases online, you’re missing out on bonus points or even cash back in your pocket. Before I go to a merchant’s website to shop online, I always start at an aggregator such as CashBackMonitor.com and evaluate which shopping portal has the best earning rate. Then, I’ll log on to the site, click on the merchant and I’m off to earn extra points, miles or cash back.
Here are two of my favorite sites with referral programs:
Rakuten (formerly Ebates)
My wife first introduced me to Ebates several years ago, and I’ve since earned hundreds of dollars through my regular online shopping by starting at the site. The site has since been rebranded to Rakuten, but the referral program remains in place. In addition to the standard earning rates you get through shopping, you can also earn referral credit when you invite friends or family members.
Unlike some of the others mentioned above, Rakuten regularly changes its referral program, generally every three to six months. Under the current scheme, when you refer someone and they spend at least $25 at a participating merchant, you’ll receive $25 and your referral will get $10. Alternatively, you can earn Amex points per referral if you switch your earning preference to American Express Membership Rewards points.
Here’s how to start the referral process:
- Log in to your account (or sign up here if you don’t have one)
- Visit the refer-a-friend page here
- Invite your friends by email or copy your link to be sent manually or posted to your social media account
This referral page also allows you to track the status of your referrals, including those you’ve invited (but haven’t signed up), those who have signed up (but haven’t made a purchase), and those who have signed up, made a purchase and qualified for a referral credit. The cash back you earn through the site, both on purchases and referrals, will be mailed to you every quarter (though you can also request to have it sent via PayPal).
Mr. Rebates is another cash-back site that I always check. The site works just like Rakuten in that you’ll earn cash back on online purchases at hundreds of merchants. However, the referral program is a bit different. When a friend or family member signs up for the site, they’ll get $5 and then you will get a bonus equal to 20% of their rebate every time they use the site. While this may not seem like much, every little bit helps.
Here’s how to complete the referral process:
- Log in to your account at www.mrrebates.com (or sign up here if you don’t have one)
- Hover over My Account at the top, then select Refer Friends
- Choose how you want to send the referral: email, links/banners, Facebook or Twitter
Any cash back you earn through the site will remain in Pending status for three months, at which point it will automatically convert to Available. As a result, you will need to manually request a check from Mr. Rebates when you’re ready to redeem, though you must have at least $10 to do so.
Many companies offer you referral credits for bringing in additional customers, and the ones highlighted above are just a snapshot of some of the more popular ones. I’ve found that less is more when it comes to newbies in the hobby, and by referring your friends or family members to specific sites that you use regularly, you’re helping them get their feet wet. After all, something as simple as clicking through an online shopping portal or opening and then using a single new travel rewards credit card can unlock an array of valuable rewards and help your loved ones get a taste of what you can do.
Additional reporting by Stella Shon.
Featured photo Hero Images/Getty Images
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 60,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,200
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 3X points on dining and 2x points on travel, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 60,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $750 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®.
- Enjoy new benefits such as a $50 annual Ultimate Rewards Hotel Credit, 5X points on travel purchased through Chase Ultimate Rewards®, 3X points on dining and 2X points on all other travel purchases, plus more.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 60,000 points are worth $750 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories.
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on eligible orders over $12 for a minimum of one year with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.
- Get up to $60 back on an eligible Peloton Digital or All-Access Membership through 12/31/2021, and get full access to their workout library through the Peloton app, including cardio, running, strength, yoga, and more. Take classes using a phone, tablet, or TV. No fitness equipment is required.