Earn $30 (or 3,000 Amex points) by joining or referring a friend to Rakuten through Sept. 30
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Editor’s note: This post has been updated with the latest information.
Some offers mentioned below are no longer available.
If you’re planning some online purchases in the next few weeks — especially for back-to-school items — one of our favorite online shopping portals here at TPG is offering a solid bonus for new members. This represents a chance for existing members to take home some cash or American Express Membership Rewards points as well.
If you join Rakuten (formerly Ebates) by Sept. 30 and spend at least $30 within 90 days, you’ll take home a one-time bonus of $30.
And if you’re an existing Rakuten member, you can also get in on the action. All you have to do is refer a friend, and when your friend joins by Sept. 30 and spends $30 within 90 days, you both get a $30 bonus. While this offer has been a little higher before, it’s still a nice way to grab some cash back — especially if you’re planning some online purchases in the next few months.
Typically, Rakuten offers $25 for each referral and referee with no limit to how much you can earn, so long as the new member meets the spending requirements. However, if you join without a referral, you’re typically limited to a one-time bonus of just $10.
As a result, this is a terrific way to get an even higher bonus — and to help your friends and family members get in on the action.
In case you’re not familiar with the site, Rakuten is an online shopping portal that used to go under the name Ebates. It partners with hundreds of online retailers, from well-known brands like Target and Home Depot to smaller merchants like Glossybox.com. By starting your purchase at Rakuten and clicking through to the merchant from there, you’ll take home a bonus on every eligible purchase you make — in addition to earnings on the credit card you use for the purchase.
Or, to make things even easier, you can download the Rakuten Google Chrome plug-in and then go directly to the merchant’s site. The plug-in will then notify you if there’s a rebate available:
This friendly reminder makes it simpler to earn more rewards for your online shopping.
You may be wondering how this is possible. Well, Rakuten inks marketing agreements with individual retailers, which then pay the site commissions on purchases that begin there. Rakuten (in turn) then passes a portion of those commissions on to you, the customer. The retailer gets additional business and both you and Rakuten enjoy a cut of those purchases, essentially a win-win-win for all parties.
While Rakuten is advertised as a cash-back portal, you can take your rewards to the next level by switching your earning preference to American Express Membership Rewards points. In the above example, that means you’d take home 1 Amex point for every dollar you spend at Target.com. Since we value Amex points at 2 cents apiece thanks to the array of valuable redemption options, that could offer an even higher return for your online purchases. That means the $30 or 3,000-point new customer bonus is valued at $60 by TPG if you choose to earn Membership Rewards points.
Note that going through Rakuten for your online purchases may mean that you’re sacrificing higher rewards through an airline shopping portal — especially if there are any bonus offers through those sites. However, given the current referral offer now available, Rakuten could be a good option.
Which credit card should I use?
If you’re making purchases online, be sure to pay close attention to any potential bonus categories. However, your best bet may be to use a card that offers solid value for everyday purchases, including the following:
- Capital One Venture Rewards Credit Card: 2x miles on purchases, worth 2% cash back or 3.4 cents toward transfer partners (based on TPG valuations; not provided by the issuer)
- The Blue Business®️ Plus Credit Card from American Express: 2x Membership Rewards points on the first $50,000 in purchases each calendar year; then 1x point (meaning a 4% return based on TPG valuations) Terms apply.
- Chase Freedom Unlimited: 1.5% cash back that can be transferred to a Chase Ultimate Rewards-earning card for a 3% return based on TPG valuations
Remember that any cash back or Amex points you’d take home through Rakuten are in addition to the earnings on your credit card. You may even be able to stack an Amex Offer or Chase Offer at select merchants, so be sure to check those now to avoid leaving money on the table.
For example, Saks Fifth Avenue is currently offering 2% cash back (or 2 Membership Rewards points) for every dollar you spend by going through Rakuten.
Holders of The Platinum Card® from American Express enjoy up to $100 in statement credits at Saks every calendar year ($50 from January through June and another $50 from July through December — enrollment required). And since these credits are applied on the back end by Amex — as opposed to a promo code at the time of purchase — you should still earn the cash back or bonus Amex points on the full subtotal of your purchase.
This new customer offer is a simple one that anyone can utilize, so don’t miss out on an easy $30 or 3,000 points for all the online shopping you and your loved ones are doing right now — especially as more and more students go back to school. Sign-up for Rakuten today, or begin referring your friends and family members to reap the rewards of their online purchases.
- How to maximize online shopping portals
- Earn bonus points on takeout with these dining rewards programs
- Best cash-back cards of 2021
Featured photo courtesy of filadendron/Getty Images.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new card in the first three months of card membership. Offer ends 11/10/2021.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer expires 11/10/2021.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees