Quick Points: Earn bonus Marriott points on your Uber rides and food delivery orders
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Although we cover loyalty programs in-depth on TPG every day, sometimes you just want a snippet of useful information that you can put into action on the fly. That’s why we recently launched the series Quick Points. Every week, we’ll highlight a new or easily forgotten tip that can help you travel more for less.
Often these are bits of information or advice that you can find elsewhere on the site, but that might have gotten buried amid flashier or more valuable perks. Today, we’re going to review how you can double-dip your rewards and earn Marriott Bonvoy points on certain Uber rides and food delivery.
The process is as simple as linking your accounts with a few taps on your phone. You’ll then earn points on autopilot whenever using Uber or Uber Eats.
Get the latest points, miles and travel news by signing up for TPG’s free daily newsletter.
Earning Marriott points on Uber rides and food delivery
In April, Marriott launched a partnership with Uber, allowing its members to earn Marriott Bonvoy points when ordering food delivery on Uber Eats and requesting select Uber rides. You’ll earn as follows:
- 6 Marriott Bonvoy points per dollar on Uber Eats deliveries to hotels operating under Marriott brands in the United States with a minimum $25 basket (a 4.8% return based on TPG’s valuations).
- 3 Marriott points per dollar on Uber XL, Comfort and Black rides across the United States (a 2.4% return).
- 2 Marriott points per dollar on non-hotel Uber Eats deliveries and food pickups in the United States with a minimum $25 basket (a 1.6% return).
As you can see, the biggest restriction is that you won’t earn any points on UberX rides. That said, these points are earned in addition to any Uber Rewards points you might earn so there’s no downside to still opting in to earn Marriott Bonvoy points. You’ll also still earn points by paying with a credit card that earns bonus points or miles on Uber rides or food delivery so you can effectively triple-dip on rewards.
Linking your Marriott and Uber accounts
All you have to do to start earning points is link your Marriott Bonvoy and Uber accounts. This is a one-time process so you’ll then automatically earn bonus points on all qualifying rides and food deliveries moving forward.
Linking your accounts is quick and easy.
- Open the Uber app and tap the menu on the top left corner.
- Tap “Settings” and scroll down to tap “Marriott Bonvoy” under the Rewards section.
- Tap “Link Account” and then log in to your Marriott Bonvoy account.
Voila, that’s it! You’ll now automatically earn Marriott points on all qualifying Uber transactions. Even if a few extra points here and there might not seem like much, the points do add up over time.
Marriott says that it could take a few business days for Bonvoy points to post after eligible Uber rides and food deliveries. However, based on the TPG team’s experiences, the points typically post almost immediately.
It’s also worth mentioning that you’ll still earn the points when paying with Uber Cash, such as when using the monthly Uber credit provided by the American Express® Gold Card and The Platinum Card® from American Express.
Featured photo by Hrach Hovhannisyan/Shutterstock.com.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new card in the first three months of card membership. Offer ends 11/10/2021.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer expires 11/10/2021.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees