Enjoy a highest cash-back guarantee with this online shopping portal
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
If you aren’t earning points or extra cash back on your online purchases, you’re likely leaving serious rewards on the table.
It’s a simple as a couple of extra clicks before you buy your next lawnmower at HomeDepot.com, jeans from Gap.com or decorative dish towels and must-have home goods from Target.com.
There are lots of online shopping portals out there. In addition to most major airlines and several hotels having their own portals, there are a number of independent cash-back rewards programs you can join.
These sites award points, miles or cash back on just about everything you buy online. At the most basic level, you start at one of these portals and then click through to the retailer’s website to earn extra rewards (rather than starting at the merchant directly).
Here at TPG, we often talk about Rakuten, formerly known as Ebates. This is for good reason as it’s essentially a hybrid program, allowing you to earn either cash-back or American Express Membership Rewards points on your online purchases. But no one program always has the best return. After all, different portals often have varying earning rates for the same retailers.
In this guide, we’ll take a deep dive into a different cash back portal — TopCashback. While doesn’t award points and instead lets you redeem rewards for cash or gift cards, it has one valuable feature that no other cashback portal has: a “Highest Cashback Guarantee.”
For more TPG news delivered each morning to your inbox, sign up for our daily newsletter.
What is TopCashback?
TopCashback is an online shopping portal that partners with nearly three thousand online retailers, including big names like Adidas, Apple, eBay, Macy’s and Sephora, as well as some travel brands like Marriott Bonvoy, VRBO and Hilton. You can use the portal to earn cash-back on certain gift card purchases and also place curbside pick-up orders.
The site prides itself on being what it describes as the world’s most generous free cashback site. That’s because it says passes back 100% of the day-to-day commission it gets from merchants back to members. The site explains that it makes money through advertisements and sponsored links which are labeled as “zero cashback.” Merchants also pay the site bonuses from time to time.
How to sign up for TopCashback
Signing up for TopCashback is easy. Just head to its website, enter your email and choose a password.
Once you’ve joined, you can start earning for your online purchases immediately — and you can also earn cash back for every friend you refer.
How to use TopCashback
TopCashback works just like any other online shopping portal. Once you have an account, head to the site before making any online purchases.
There’s a search box at the top of the website which you could use to search for the merchant you want to shop with.
Then, simply click through to the retailer’s site to complete the purchase.
When you click the “Get Cashback” button next to a store, a new window or tab will open up, indicating that you’re being redirected to the merchant’s website. You must complete your purchase on that window so that TopCashback can track how much you spent and reward you.
Alternatively, if you want to make your life a bit easier, you could download TopCashback’s browser extension.
It’s available for Chrome and Firefox and will automatically notify you when you’re shopping with a participating retailer. So, all you’ll need to do is click “Activate Now” via the button to earn cash-back, as opposed to going through the main portal. It will also show you any coupons available for that site.
Transactions should show up on your earnings page within seven days. First, they’ll appear as “pending,” meaning that your transaction has been recorded, but the retailer hasn’t yet confirmed that all criteria have been met for cashback. Then, within a month, your transaction will switch to “confirmed” status. The final step is to wait for your transaction to become “payable.” This usually occurs within a few weeks, once the affiliate network invoiced the retailer, though can take up to 90 days.
You can claim your cash-back at any time once it reaches payable status. TopCashback allows you to cash out through PayPal, ACH and a variety gift card options with retailers such as Amazon, Disney or Sephora. Unlike some cashback portals, there are no minimums to request a payout. You can usually get up to a 5% bonus when you request your payout as credit with certain merchants or as a Visa or American Express prepaid card.
What makes TopCashback stand out from the other online shopping portals is that it offers a “Highest Cashback Guarantee.” Plain and simple, if you find a better cash-back deal on another site, you can file a claim and TopCashback will match the offer once it’s been reviewed and approved. This is the only online shopping portal we are aware of to offer a guarantee like this.
The higher rate must have been offered on the same day that your transaction took place. Also, TopCashback will only match cash-back rates from the following competitors: Befrugal, Rakuten, Gocashback, Mr. Rebates and shopathome. In other words, you can’t match non-monetary rewards, such as airline miles.
To file a claim, you must fill out a form via the customer service page. It must be submitted within seven days of the actual transaction date, with the transaction visible in your account. Although there’s no option to attach files to the initial claim form, TopCashback still suggests retaining a timestamped screenshot of the higher offer.
Your best bet for maximizing this feature is to use a shopping portal aggregator like CashBack Monitor. It allows you to search for retailers and see the earning rate you’d get across all applicable shopping portals. So, even if TopCashback isn’t offering the highest rate, you’ll be able to see who’s offering a better rate so you can match it.
In fact, it’s best practice to use an aggregator like CashBack Monitor before you ever make a purchase so you can start with the portal that will be most rewarding for your purchase.
As you can see, using TopCashback is relatively straightforward, but there are a few important things to keep in mind:
- For TopCashback to track your shopping trips, you must have cookies enabled on your browser.
- Only use promotions or promo codes found on the portal; if you use others, they may void your rewards.
- Be sure to read the restrictions for each merchant. Many won’t count gift cards as eligible purchases for earning bonuses, and others will exclude certain products.
- Remember to pay with the credit card that will offer the best earning rate on your purchase. Most online merchants don’t fall into the traditional bonus categories, so you’ll probably want to stick with a card that’s good for everyday purchases.
Also, keep in mind that the Highest Cashback Guarantee is only useful if you’re only trying to earn cash-back. If you’re flexible, you could sometimes get a greater return by going through a portal that earns points or miles — even if the earning rate is lower. For instance, with Rakuten, you can opt to earn American Express Membership Rewards points. TPG values Amex points at 2 cents apiece, effectively doubling your return over the same amount of cash back. If you had to choose between earning 3% cash-back via TopCashback or 2x Amex points via Rakuten, you’ll get a higher return with Rakuten if you value Amex similarly to TPG.
You should always go through a shopping portal when making online purchases. If it’s cash-back rewards you’re after, then TopCashback and its highest cash-back guarantee are a great tool to bookmark. However, you can sometimes get greater value by going through a portal that earns points or miles so it’s important to do the math and see what makes the most sense.
Featured photo by Andrey_Popov/Shutterstock.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer ends 8/3/2022.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 bonus miles after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer ends 8/3/2022.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs up to two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide including takeout and delivery in the U.S., and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $80 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA PreCheck® after you apply through any Authorized Enrollment Provider. If approved for Global Entry, at no additional charge, you will receive access to TSA PreCheck.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees