Earn up to 1,000 bonus American miles for online shopping
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
The outbreak of the novel coronavirus COVID-19 has put a damper on everyday life as we know it. However, if you have some online shopping in your future and are looking to take home some extra rewards on your purchases, one opportunity has just come up. One of the major U.S. airlines is currently offering bonus miles through its online shopping portal, and with brick-and-mortar stores set to temporarily close their doors (or already shuttered), now is a great time to buy online.
While this new offer is limited to a single portal, you can still earn up to 1,000 bonus miles by shopping online with American for the next several days. And with low spending thresholds, you could take home the bonus miles with a minimal out-of-pocket expense.
Let’s take a look at this new offer.
American’s new promotion has four tiers and is a one-time bonus based on the total number of purchases you make through the AAdvantage eShopping site from March 1 to 27. Here’s exactly what you’d earn:
- Two purchases: 250 bonus miles
- Four purchases: 500 bonus miles
- Six purchases: 750 bonus miles
- Eight or more purchases: 1,000 bonus miles
Each qualifying purchase must be at least $5 to count toward an individual tier, which is notably different than past promotions — which are typically based on your cumulative spending during the promotional period. Note that these bonus miles are in addition to the standard earning rates you’d take home for the purchases.
If you can hit the last tier by making eight or more eligible purchases before midnight Eastern Time on March 27, you’ll take home a haul of miles worth $14 based on TPG’s most recent valuations. That’s not going to do much by itself, but with American’s Economy Web Special awards starting at 5,000 miles each way, you could think of it as earning 20% of a one-way award flight.
Remember that the usual exclusions apply. Qualifying purchases do not include returns, cancellations, shipping and handling, taxes, gift card or other cash equivalent purchases. In addition, certain products are not eligible, so be sure to read the terms and conditions of the individual merchant to make sure your purchase will qualify.
You can view the full terms of the promotion at the bottom of this page.
How to maximize this offer
This new bonus may not be lucrative enough to warrant new spending, but since many readers are likely shopping online right now due to social-distancing tactics, you might as well enjoy the bonus miles on purchases you were already planning to make — especially if you can stack another discount or bonus from a program like Amex Offers.
For example, I currently have an Amex Offer for Omaha Steaks, and so does my wife. In each case, we’d earn 1,000 bonus Membership Rewards points for spending $40 or more by June 21, 2020. In addition, Omaha Steaks is currently offering free shipping on purchases over $69, and the AAdvantage portal is awarding an extra 5 miles for every dollar we spend.
As a result, if we each purchase the Gourmet Convenience package for $74.99 separately but through the same American portal account, we’d take home the following:
- 300 Membership Rewards points (the base earning rate on the purchases, since we have The Blue Business® Plus Credit Card from American Express), worth $6
- 2,000 Membership Rewards points from the Amex Offer, worth $40
- 750 American miles (5 miles per dollar spent x $74.99 x 2), worth $10.50
- 250 American miles (Tier 1 of the above promotion), worth $3.50
In other words, our total purchases of $149.98 would net us $60 worth of rewards and get us several meals to cook at home, delivered right to our door — a great way to fulfill social-distancing recommendations.
If you’re solely interested in earning American miles, be sure to check the SimplyMiles platform for any applicable bonus offers. Since these are linked to your AAdvantage credit card, you should be able to stack them with this new promotion as well.
Use the right credit card
It’s critical to swipe the right credit card when making online purchases, so pay close attention to any bonus categories that might apply to the merchant at which you’re shopping. If there’s no additional bonus or discount potential, you’ll want to make sure you use a credit card that has high earning rates on non-bonus spending. Great options include cards like the following:
- Chase Freedom Unlimited
- Capital One® Venture® Rewards Credit Card
- The Blue Business®️ Plus Credit Card from American Express
The information for the Venture Card has been collected independently by The Points Guy. The card details on this page have not been reviewed or provided by the card issuer.
Read our guide to the best credit cards for everyday spending to see which cards will maximize your returns for online purchases.
Featured photo by filadendron/Getty Images.
This is The Points Guy’s permanent page with all currently available airline shopping portal promotions, so you can bookmark it and check back regularly for updates. Keep in mind you may see some reader comments referring to older offers below.
WELCOME OFFER: 60,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,200
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 60,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $750 toward travel when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®
- 2X points on travel and dining at restaurants worldwide & 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards. For example, 60,000 points are worth $750 toward travel
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on orders over $12 for a minimum of one year on qualifying food purchases with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Earn 5X points on Lyft rides through March 2022. That’s 3X points in addition to the 2X points you already earn on travel.