Earn up to 2,500 bonus miles with Alaska, American, Southwest and United for shopping online
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Update: Some offers mentioned below are no longer available.
Editor’s note: This is TPG’s permanent page with all currently available airline shopping portal promotions, so you can bookmark it and check back regularly for updates.
If you’re planning to make a large online purchase soon, listen up. You can currently earn thousands of bonus miles through the online shopping portals of several U.S. carriers — including Alaska, American, Southwest and United.
There’s no registration needed for either of the promotions, but you’ll want to keep their end dates in mind, as they’ll only be available for a limited time. If you maximize all of them, you could walk away with up to 7,700 bonus miles across the four airlines.
Neither one of these bonuses are the best we’ve ever seen, but if you’re looking to make some online purchases in the next few weeks, you might as well take home some extra miles. Let’s take a look at these offers.
For more TPG news delivered each morning to your inbox, sign up for our daily newsletter.
Alaska Mileage Plan Shopping
Through Aug. 8, 2021, you can earn up to 1,200 bonus miles for shopping through Alaska Mileage Plan Shopping. The offer is very straightforward, with three tiers (depending on how much you spend before the end of the promotional period).
- Earn 300 bonus miles when you spend $150 or more
- Earn 600 bonus miles when you spend $300 or more
- Earn 1,200 bonus miles when you spend $500 or more
The bonus you earn is based on the cumulative amount of spending you complete through the portal before 11:59 p.m. Eastern Time on Aug. 8. While you can only earn one of the tiers, keep in mind that these bonuses are in addition to any miles you earn directly with the merchant.
Remember that the usual exclusions apply. Qualifying purchases do not include returns, cancellations, shipping and handling, taxes, gift card or other cash equivalent purchases. In addition, certain products are not eligible, so be sure to read the terms and conditions of the individual merchant to make sure your purchase will qualify.
The full details are available at this link.
American Airlines AAdvantage Shopping
The second offer is available through American Airlines AAdvantage Shopping. It’s very similar but offers slightly more points and will run for a little longer. You can earn up to 2,000 bonus miles and it runs through Aug. 15.
- Earn 500 bonus miles when you spend $150 or more
- Earn 1,000 bonus miles when you spend $300 or more
- Earn 2,000 bonus miles when you spend $500 or more
Interestingly enough, the return on your spending is actually the highest at the middle tier of the promotion. Based on TPG valuations, the middle tier gives you an additional 4.6% back on top of the miles you’d normally earn.
The same restrictions noted above apply, so you’ll want to review the individual merchant’s terms.
You can view the full terms at the bottom of this page.
Southwest Rapid Rewards Shopping
The next offer is available through Southwest Rapid Rewards Shopping. Like American’s promotion, it runs through Aug. 15 and you can earn up to 2,000 bonus points, though the thresholds are a bit different. Earn 250 bonus points when you spend $125 or more
- Earn 900 bonus miles when you spend $300 or more
- Earn 2,000 bonus miles when you spend $550 or more
By hitting $550 exactly, the bonus miles you’d take home are worth $8.25 based on TPG valuations, so you’d be taking home an extra 1.5% return (in addition to the earnings with the merchant and the points or miles you’d earn on the card you swipe). Again, you have until 11:59 p.m. Eastern Time on Aug. 15 to reach these thresholds.
The same restrictions noted above apply, so be sure to review the individual merchant’s terms to understand exactly how you’ll be earning miles.
You can view the full terms at the bottom of this page.
United Airlines MileagePlus Shopping
The final offer is available through United MileagePlus Shopping. It also offers three tiers but is the most generous on paper. When you spend $600 or more through Aug. 15, you’ll take home 2,500 bonus miles.
Like Southwest’s offer, this one runs through Aug. 15 at 11:59 p.m. Eastern Time, and it’s based on cumulative purchases made through the platform.
- Earn 500 bonus miles when you spend $100 or more
- Earn 1,500 bonus miles when you spend $350 or more
- Earn 2,500 bonus miles when you spend $600 or more
The return on your spending is actually the highest at the middle tier of the promotion. The three bonus amounts are worth $6.50, $19.50 and $32.50 based on TPG valuations, giving you an additional return of 6.5%, 5.57% or 5.42% (respectively). And, of course, these bonuses are in addition to the miles you’d earn with the specific merchant.
You’ll also face the same restrictions noted above. Your qualifying spending excludes shipping, taxes and any other fees associated with your purchase(s), and some items or categories aren’t eligible. As always, carefully review the terms for each merchant, so you don’t miss out on the bonus miles.
For full details on this offer, visit this page.
How to maximize these offers
These new bonuses are decent, and with many readers shopping online right now (even as the coronavirus pandemic subsides), this represents a great option to earn bonus miles on purchases you were already planning to make — or you may want to grab something new if you can stack another discount or bonus from a program like Amex Offers.
For example, let’s say you have an Amex Offer for 1-800-FLOWERS on your Platinum Card® from American Express, allowing you to get $10 back if you spend $50 or more on eligible purchases. In addition, United is offering 15 bonus miles for every dollar spent at 1800flowers.com. (Eligibility for this offer is limited. Enrollment is required in the Amex Offers section of your account before redeeming.)
If, on the other hand, you’re solely interested in earning American miles on these purchases, be sure to check the SimplyMiles platform for any applicable bonus offers. Since these are linked to your AAdvantage credit card, you should be able to stack them with these new promotions as well.
Note that by going through these portals, you’re also potentially giving up rewards through other portals — like Rakuten or Chase. Be sure to use an online tool like Cashback Monitor to compare earning rates and select the best option.
Use the right credit card
It’s critical to swipe the right credit card when making online purchases, so pay close attention to any bonus categories that might apply to the merchant at which you’re shopping. If there’s no additional bonus or discount potential, you’ll want to make sure you use a credit card that has high earning rates on non-bonus spending. Great options include cards like the following:
- Chase Freedom Unlimited
- Capital One Venture Rewards Credit Card
- The Blue Business® Plus Credit Card from American Express
Be sure to read our guide to the best credit cards for everyday spending to see which cards will maximize your returns for online purchases.
Additional reporting by Nick Ewen
Featured photo by martin-dm/Getty Images
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new card in the first three months of card membership. Offer ends 11/10/2021.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer expires 11/10/2021.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees