Exclusive: Uber scraps its referral program for riders and drivers
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Uber has been on a downward trend the past few months and is showing no signs of slowing down. As of June 29, Uber has discontinued its rider and driver referral programs without any notice. This comes not too long after the company eliminated a key redemption option from its rewards program.
For more TPG news delivered each morning to your inbox, sign up for our daily newsletter.
Per a message first discovered by TPG on the help page of the company’s website, riders can no longer refer people to Uber using a personal invite code. An Uber spokesperson confirmed this change with us and shared that the driver referral program is currently paused as well. The Uber Eats referral program remains active.
Riders who were referred prior to June 29 and registered their accounts will have 90 days from the referral date to take their first trip. An Uber spokesperson shared that those with rider referral codes but no account will be able to use them until the end of July. If the new user takes their first trip within the 90-day window, the invitee will have 90 days from the date of their first trip to use their reward.
Prior to its abrupt conclusion, Uber was offering new users at least $2 off their first three rides. At one point, the program offered a $20 dual-sided reward for riders. For drivers, the referral rewards ranged anywhere from $100 to $1,100. Similar to how the new rider bonuses were tiered, new drivers typically needed to complete a certain number of trips in their first month in order to receive a bonus.
Uber’s business was built on its referral program. It was available since the company’s launch and was one of the most crucial elements of its rapid growth. For drivers, the referral bonuses attributed to a significant portion of their earnings.
Lyft‘s referral programs for both riders and drivers are still up and running.
Related: Best credit cards for Lyft and Uber
Seeing Uber’s ride referral program vanish is disappointing no matter how you look at it. New users may still be able to find promotions on Uber’s website, but you’ll no longer be rewarded for referring others to the app.
If you’re an existing user, you still have a few ways to save on your rides. For instance, you can get up to $200 in Uber Cash to use annually with The Platinum Card® from American Express (enrollment required). You may also be able to score discounts with a Ride Pass subscription. Check out our guide to the best cards for Uber and Lyft before booking your next ride-share trip to learn how you can maximize your return.
Featured image by martin-dm/Getty Images.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles after you spend $3,000 in purchases within the first three months of card membership. Plus, earn a $200 statement credit after your first Delta purchase within the first three months. Offer ends 7/28/21.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles after spending $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months and a $200 statement credit after you make a Delta purchase with your new Card within your first 3 months. Offer expires 7/28/2021.
- Limited Time Offer: Plus, get a 0% intro APR on purchases for 12 months from the date of account opening, then a variable 15.74%-24.74%. Offer expires 7/28/2021.
- Accelerate your path to Medallion Status, with Status Boost®. Plus, in 2021 you can earn even more bonus Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) to help you reach Medallion Status.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees