Uber Expands Ride Pass to 16 More Cities, Adds Perks Like Free Bikes and Scooters
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Update: Some offers mentioned below are no longer available. View the current offers here – Citi Premier® Card
Over the last few years, Uber’s tested a number of subscription-based services, and in October it officially launched a pilot for Ride Pass, which locks in low prices for riders who pay a monthly fee.
Uber announced today that it’s expanding Ride Pass to 16 more cities, and riders in select markets will receive additional benefits with Uber’s JUMP e-bikes and scooters.
With Ride Pass, you’re essentially paying $15 to $25 a month to avoid surge pricing. This service mostly makes sense if you’re a frequent Uber user and know you’re going to be taking rides when surge pricing is likely to be in effect (i.e., around peak commute times or during bad weather).
Ride pass is already available in Los Angeles, Miami, Denver, Austin and Orlando and will open to riders in the following cities starting today:
New York City, Dallas, San Diego, Seattle, San Antonio, Las Vegas, Phoenix, Orange County, Baltimore-Maryland, New Orleans, Nashville, Portland, Raleigh-Durham, St. Louis, Jacksonville and Memphis.
What’s more exciting than just the expansion is that in some regions Ride Pass members will start enjoying free access to Uber’s growing fleet of dockless scooters and electric JUMP Bikes. Ride Pass members in New York City (Bronx and Staten Island), Dallas, San Diego, Seattle, Phoenix, San Antonio and Nashville will get 30 minutes of free rides a day on JUMP bikes and JUMP scooters.
Rides taken with Ride Pass still earn redeemable points and elite credits in Uber Rewards, but the cost of the monthly subscription will not earn any points, an Uber spokesperson told TPG.
If you do sign up for Ride Pass, the Uber app will tell you how much you’ve saved per month, so make sure to compare your monthly savings to the cost of your plan. And to maximize your spend, use a credit card that earns bonus points on Uber — Ride Pass purchases should code as Uber purchases so one of these cards will be a good fit:
- Chase Sapphire Reserve — 3x Ultimate Rewards points on all travel for a 6% return
- Chase Ink Business Preferred Card — 3x Ultimate Rewards points on all travel up to $150,000 in combined category purchases each account anniversary year for a 6% return
- Citi Premier® Card – 3x ThankYou points on all travel for a 5.1% return
- U.S. Bank Altitude Reserve Visa Infinite Card – 3x points for a 4.5% return
- Chase Sapphire Preferred Card – 2x Ultimate Rewards points on all travel for a 4% return
The information for the U.S. Bank Altitude Reserve card has been collected independently by The Points Guy. The card details on this page have not been reviewed or provided by the card issuer.
On top of its great airport lounge access and other travel perks, the Platinum Card® from American Express doles out $200 in Uber credits annually, with card holders receiving $15 of credit every month and $35 in the month of December.
Featured image courtesy of Uber.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 75,000 Points Terms Apply.
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,500
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: Delta Sky Club and Centurion lounge access, up to $200 annual airline fee credit and up to $200 in Uber savings annually (only for use in the U.S.) (Enrollment required for select benefits)
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 75,000 Membership Rewards® Points after you spend $5,000 on purchases on your new Card in your first 6 months of Card Membership.
- Earn 10x points on eligible purchases on your new Card at U.S. Gas Stations and U.S. Supermarkets, on up to $15,000 in combined purchases, during your first 6 months of Card Membership. That’s an additional 9 points on top of the 1 point you earn for these purchases.
- Enjoy Uber VIP status and up to $200 in Uber savings on rides or eats orders in the US annually. Uber Cash and Uber VIP status is available to Basic Card Member and Additional Centurion Cards only.
- Earn 5X Membership Rewards® Points for flights booked directly with airlines or with American Express Travel. Starting January 1, 2021, earn 5X points on up to $500,000 on these purchases per calendar year.
- 5X Membership Rewards® Points on prepaid hotels booked with American Express Travel.
- Enjoy complimentary access to the Global Lounge Collection, the only credit card airport lounge access program that includes proprietary lounge locations around the world.
- Receive complimentary benefits through American Express Travel with an average total value of $550 with Fine Hotels & Resorts® program at over 1,100 properties. Learn More.
- Get up to $100 in statement credits annually for purchases at Saks Fifth Avenue on your Platinum Card®. That’s up to $50 in statement credits semi-annually. Enrollment required.
- $550 annual fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees