Uber Expands Ride Pass to 16 More Cities, Adds Perks Like Free Bikes and Scooters
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Update: Some offers mentioned below are no longer available. View the current offers here – Citi Premier® Card
Over the last few years, Uber’s tested a number of subscription-based services, and in October it officially launched a pilot for Ride Pass, which locks in low prices for riders who pay a monthly fee.
Uber announced today that it’s expanding Ride Pass to 16 more cities, and riders in select markets will receive additional benefits with Uber’s JUMP e-bikes and scooters.
With Ride Pass, you’re essentially paying $15 to $25 a month to avoid surge pricing. This service mostly makes sense if you’re a frequent Uber user and know you’re going to be taking rides when surge pricing is likely to be in effect (i.e., around peak commute times or during bad weather).
Ride pass is already available in Los Angeles, Miami, Denver, Austin and Orlando and will open to riders in the following cities starting today:
New York City, Dallas, San Diego, Seattle, San Antonio, Las Vegas, Phoenix, Orange County, Baltimore-Maryland, New Orleans, Nashville, Portland, Raleigh-Durham, St. Louis, Jacksonville and Memphis.
What’s more exciting than just the expansion is that in some regions Ride Pass members will start enjoying free access to Uber’s growing fleet of dockless scooters and electric JUMP Bikes. Ride Pass members in New York City (Bronx and Staten Island), Dallas, San Diego, Seattle, Phoenix, San Antonio and Nashville will get 30 minutes of free rides a day on JUMP bikes and JUMP scooters.
Rides taken with Ride Pass still earn redeemable points and elite credits in Uber Rewards, but the cost of the monthly subscription will not earn any points, an Uber spokesperson told TPG.
If you do sign up for Ride Pass, the Uber app will tell you how much you’ve saved per month, so make sure to compare your monthly savings to the cost of your plan. And to maximize your spend, use a credit card that earns bonus points on Uber — Ride Pass purchases should code as Uber purchases so one of these cards will be a good fit:
- Chase Sapphire Reserve — 3x Ultimate Rewards points on travel for a 6% return
- Chase Ink Business Preferred Card — 3x Ultimate Rewards points on all travel up to $150,000 in combined category purchases each account anniversary year for a 6% return
- Citi Premier® Card – 3x ThankYou points on all travel for a 5.1% return
- U.S. Bank Altitude Reserve Visa Infinite Card – 3x points for a 4.5% return
- Chase Sapphire Preferred Card – 2x Ultimate Rewards points on travel for a 4% return
The information for the U.S. Bank Altitude Reserve card has been collected independently by The Points Guy. The card details on this page have not been reviewed or provided by the card issuer.
On top of its great airport lounge access and other travel perks, the Platinum Card® from American Express doles out $200 in Uber Cash annually, with card holders receiving $15 of credit every month and $35 in the month of December. Enrollment required.
Featured image courtesy of Uber.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 100,000 Points Terms Apply.
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $2,000
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: Delta Sky Club and Centurion lounge access, up to $200 annual airline fee credit and up to $200 in Uber Cash annually (only for use in the U.S.) (Enrollment required for select benefits)
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 100,000 Membership Rewards® Points after you spend $6,000 on purchases on the Card in your first 6 months of Card Membership.
- Plus, earn 10x points on eligible purchases on the Card at restaurants worldwide and when you Shop Small in the U.S., on up to $25,000 in combined purchases, during your first 6 months of Card Membership.
- Earn 5X Membership Rewards® Points for flights booked directly with airlines or with American Express Travel up to $500,000 on these purchases per calendar year and earn 5X Membership Rewards® Points on prepaid hotels booked with American Express Travel.
- $200 Hotel Credit: Get $200 back in statement credits each year on prepaid Fine Hotels + Resorts® or The Hotel Collection bookings with American Express Travel when you pay with your Platinum Card®.
- $240 Digital Entertainment Credit: Get up to $20 in statement credits each month when you pay for eligible purchases with the Platinum Card® at your choice of one or more of the following providers: Peacock, Audible, SiriusXM, and The New York Times. Enrollment required.
- $155 Walmart+ Credit: Cover the cost of a $12.95 monthly Walmart+ membership with a statement credit after you pay for Walmart+ each month with your Platinum Card. Cost includes $12.95 plus applicable local sales tax.
- American Express has expanded The Centurion® Network to include 40+ Centurion Lounge and Studio locations worldwide. Now there are even more places your Platinum Card® can get you complimentary entry and exclusive perks.
- $200 Airline Fee Credit: Get up to $200 in statement credits per calendar year in baggage fees and more at one select qualifying airline.
- $200 Uber Cash: Enjoy Uber VIP status and up to $200 in Uber savings on rides or eats orders in the US annually. Uber Cash and Uber VIP status is available to Basic Card Member only.
- $300 Equinox Credit: Get up to $25 back each month on select Equinox memberships when you pay with your Platinum Card®. Enrollment required.
- $179 CLEAR® Credit: Use your Card and get up to $179 back per year on your CLEAR® membership.
- $695 annual fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees