Uber Rewards is eliminating a key redemption option
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Editor’s note: This story was updated to include a statement from Uber.
Back in 2018, Uber began rolling out it its loyalty program Uber Rewards. It was initially only available to select people in certain cities but has since expanded nationwide. Soon, it will see its first major devaluation.
For more TPG news delivered each morning to your inbox, sign up for our daily newsletter.
- 1 point per eligible dollar spent on UberPool and UberEats
- 2 points per eligible dollar spent on UberX, Uber XL, Select and WAV
- 3 points per eligible dollar spent on UberBlack, Black SUV and Lux
Initially, points were worth a flat 1 cent apiece toward Uber Cash credit — for every 500 points earned, you’d get a $5 Uber Cash credit. This credit could be redeemed toward future Uber rides and UberEats orders. Then in December, Uber began introducing new reward options, like discounts on rides, access to highly rated drivers, and meal donations through Feeding America, slightly adjusting the value you could get.
Unfortunately, the $5 Uber Cash reward option will be going away soon. In an email to members, Uber shared that they will no longer see the option after this current rewards cycle. Some of the discounts are capped at $7, making them arguably more valuable than the credit option. But they require you to spend more in the first place to maximize them so the credit option still often made more sense.
Related: New Uber Rewards options
Losing the Uber Cash option is disappointing, but it makes sense given the company’s struggling financial position due to the significant drop in demand for rides caused by the coronavirus pandemic. Uber will continue to add new reward options like promotions on rides and eats, unique experiences and exclusive partner offers to keep the program experience exciting. The program has previously partnered with P.F. Chang’s to offer free dumplings as a reward option, so it’s likely we’ll see more partnerships like that in the future.
While the Uber Rewards program might be getting a bit less valuable for some members, there are still ways to save on your rides and eats orders. Check out our guide to the best cards for Uber and Lyft before booking your next ride-share trip to learn how you can maximize your return.
Note: After this article was originally published, an Uber spokesperson reached out to TPG to clarify that this decision was not tied to the company’s financial position and provided the following statement: “After thoughtful consideration, we made the decision to sunset the $5 Uber Cash benefit in the U.S. starting in late 2019. Users told us that Uber Cash was a less popular option for every 500 points earned and that they wanted more choice, which is why we expanded to include ride and Eats discounts, partner benefits like access to Apple News, free food items, and a large focus on donations per these challenging times. We remain committed to Uber Rewards and recognizing riders for choosing our service.”
Featured image by Brendan Dorsey/The Points Guy.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer ends 8/3/2022.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 bonus miles after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer ends 8/3/2022.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs up to two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide including takeout and delivery in the U.S., and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $80 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA PreCheck® after you apply through any Authorized Enrollment Provider. If approved for Global Entry, at no additional charge, you will receive access to TSA PreCheck.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees