Uber to offer hourly rides in select US cities beginning in June
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Like many businesses in the travel industry, ride-sharing services have been impacted tremendously by the coronavirus pandemic, with a significant drop in demand for rides. Shared rides are off the table in some markets, and, earlier this month, Uber and Lyft began mandating masks, in a bid to protect passengers and drivers during the outbreak.
Now, Uber is rolling out a new type of ride, called “Hourly.” As its name implies, the new option enables customers to book cars by the hour, at a $50 rate. The rollout follows a test in select cities in Australia, Africa, Europe, and the Middle East, giving riders an opportunity to lock in one car for multiple trips, to limit their exposure to multiple drivers and vehicles.
As the company explains:
Within the Uber app, you’ll be able to request this trip as you would any on-demand ride, while setting multiple stops as needed throughout your journey. The cost is $50 per hour with mileage overage varying by city, and riders can book in hourly increments. Once requested, you’ll be matched with a driver who has a more spacious and newer vehicle make / model of cars that are eligible for Uber Comfort.
Beginning June 2, the service will be available to all riders in Atlanta, Chicago, Dallas, Washington, D.C., Houston, Miami, Orlando, Philadelphia, Phoenix, Seattle, Tacoma and Tampa Bay. It’s not clear whether or not the company plans to expand hourly rides beyond those markets just yet.
Hoping to maximize your return? Be sure to check out our guide to the best cards for Uber and Lyft before booking your next ride-share trip.
Featured photo by Olly Curtis/Future via Getty Images via Getty Images.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles after you spend $3,000 in purchases within the first three months of card membership. Plus, earn a $200 statement credit after your first Delta purchase within the first three months. Offer ends 7/28/21.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles after spending $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months and a $200 statement credit after you make a Delta purchase with your new Card within your first 3 months. Offer expires 7/28/2021.
- Limited Time Offer: Plus, get a 0% intro APR on purchases for 12 months from the date of account opening, then a variable 15.74%-24.74%. Offer expires 7/28/2021.
- Accelerate your path to Medallion Status, with Status Boost®. Plus, in 2021 you can earn even more bonus Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) to help you reach Medallion Status.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees