Uber to offer hourly rides in select US cities beginning in June
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Like many businesses in the travel industry, ride-sharing services have been impacted tremendously by the coronavirus pandemic, with a significant drop in demand for rides. Shared rides are off the table in some markets, and, earlier this month, Uber and Lyft began mandating masks, in a bid to protect passengers and drivers during the outbreak.
Now, Uber is rolling out a new type of ride, called “Hourly.” As its name implies, the new option enables customers to book cars by the hour, at a $50 rate. The rollout follows a test in select cities in Australia, Africa, Europe, and the Middle East, giving riders an opportunity to lock in one car for multiple trips, to limit their exposure to multiple drivers and vehicles.
As the company explains:
Within the Uber app, you’ll be able to request this trip as you would any on-demand ride, while setting multiple stops as needed throughout your journey. The cost is $50 per hour with mileage overage varying by city, and riders can book in hourly increments. Once requested, you’ll be matched with a driver who has a more spacious and newer vehicle make / model of cars that are eligible for Uber Comfort.
Beginning June 2, the service will be available to all riders in Atlanta, Chicago, Dallas, Washington, D.C., Houston, Miami, Orlando, Philadelphia, Phoenix, Seattle, Tacoma and Tampa Bay. It’s not clear whether or not the company plans to expand hourly rides beyond those markets just yet.
Hoping to maximize your return? Be sure to check out our guide to the best cards for Uber and Lyft before booking your next ride-share trip.
Featured photo by Olly Curtis/Future via Getty Images via Getty Images.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 80,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,600
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 80,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,000 toward travel when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®.
- 2X points on travel and dining at restaurants worldwide, eligible delivery services, takeout and dining out & 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards. For example, 80,000 points are worth $1,000 toward travel.
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on orders over $12 for a minimum of one year on qualifying food purchases with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Earn 5X points on Lyft rides through March 2022. That’s 3X points in addition to the 2X points you already earn on travel.