All Via private rides are 20% off as NYC bans all shared rides
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Via, a popular ridesharing service, announced March 17 that it would suspend shared rides in New York City amid the novel coronavirus pandemic.
If you’re unfamiliar, Via matches riders headed in the same direction to a single vehicle, usually a passenger van. Via is one of cheaper ways New Yorkers can get to and from LaGuardia Airport (LGA) for as little as $15 round-trip in a shared vehicle.
To ease the burden for travelers who still need to use the app even during social distancing, Via is offering a discount on private rides.
“For those who do need to travel,” Via said in an email to users, “We remain as committed as ever to providing an affordable, convenient, and efficient option during these difficult times — as long as our shared rides are paused, all Private Via rides will be 20% off.”
For more TPG news delivered each morning to your inbox, sign up for our daily newsletter.
New York Mayor Bill de Blasio yesterday signed an executive order banning shared rides in New York City. That means only one person customer may travel in a rideshare at a time unless you’re a couple.
“This does not disallow a couple… or a family that lives under the same roof,” de Blasio said during the news briefing, according to silive.com. “Those folks obviously have had deep exposure to each other, and it’s appropriate for them to share a vehicle, but obviously not people who don’t know each other.”
Lyft tweeted that it would cease shared rides “across all markets.” Uber said it would suspend its Uber Pool option entirely in the U.S. and Canada, in 18 cities total. The Uber app also features an in-app message urging riders to travel only if necessary to “help flatten the curve.”
The coronavirus crisis has led to some tough soul-searching in the gig economy as customers and workers try to limit the spread of the virus by avoiding contact. Grubhub, for instance, said that it would adopt contact-free delivery — which means drivers will call or text when they arrive and drop off your order on the doorstep or lobby.
The coronavirus outbreak has quickly spread around the world. Airlines have suspended flights, severely disrupting travel to, from, and within many of the world’s busiest markets. Cruise lines around the globe have been canceling, redirecting and reducing service. Many hotels are offering full refunds in the coming weeks and months. The outbreak is also forcing the cancellation of several businesses and sporting events worldwide.
For more on the coronavirus outbreak, see:
- What does the deadly coronavirus mean for travelers?
- Myth-busting: Will a face mask keep you safe from viruses on a plane?
- Extreme measures cruise lines are taking
Featured image courtesy of Via
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 50,000 bonus miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new card in your first three months of card membership. Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at U.S. restaurants with your card within the first 3 months of membership.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Earn 50,000 bonus miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months.
- Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at US restaurants with your card within the first 3 months of membership.
- Accelerate your path to Medallion Status, with Status Boost®. Plus, in 2021 you can earn even more bonus Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) to help you reach Medallion Status.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees