The easy way to earn bonus points every time you take Lyft
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
One of the best ways to boost your loyalty account balances is by double-dipping your rewards. This takes many forms and requires different levels of effort, but one of the easiest ways to do this involves the ride-sharing company Lyft. Every time you summon a Lyft, you could earn extra points and miles with not just one but two different loyalty programs simultaneously. And the process for doing so is incredibly easy.
Today we’ll be looking at all the ways you can earn points and miles toward flights and hotel stays just by taking a Lyft so you don’t miss out on any rewards.
As noted above, Lyft gives users the option to link two popular reward programs:
The best part? When the most recent partnership with Hilton launched, Lyft confirmed that “riders will be able to earn across all partnerships.” This effectively turns this into a triple-dip opportunity, as you’ll earn points on the credit card you use for the ride plus points or miles in both of the above programs.
Let’s take a closer look at exactly how to take advantage of this great bonus potential.
Delta and Lyft officially launched their partnership back in 2017, allowing you to earn bonus SkyMiles for every ride you take. While Delta’s SkyMiles program isn’t the most lucrative, there are still some great sweet spots you can book using your miles, and the earning rates with Lyft are quite flexible. Here’s what you’ll get through the Delta-Lyft partnership:
- 1 mile per dollar spent on eligible rides
- 2 miles per dollar spent on rides to/from the airport
- $20 ride credit as new Lyft user
All you need to do to unlock these rewards is link your Delta and Lyft accounts. Here’s how to do that:
1. Visit www.deltalyft.com.
2. Enter your first name, last name and SkyMiles number, agree to the terms & conditions, then click Go.
3. Click Continue with Lyft to confirm your account (or create a new one).
4. Confirm your details with Lyft, then click Accept.
Once you’ve finished this process, you’ll start automatically earning Delta SkyMiles every time you pay for a Lyft.
This is one of Lyft’s most recent partnerships and the first one with a hotel program, putting you closer to free hotel stays. Here’s what you can earn with Hilton Honors for taking Lyft rides:
- 3 points/dollar on rides
- 2 points/dollar on shared rides
- $5 off first three rides for new users
- 1,000 Hilton Honors bonus points for those link between now and Nov. 15, 2019*
- You can earn bonus points on up to $10,000 in Lyft rides
If you reach the maximum spend of $10,000 in Lyft rides/year, you’ll earn 30,000 Hilton Honors points, worth $180.
To start earning points, follow these easy steps:
1. Visit www.hiltonhonorslyft.com.
2. Sign into your Hilton Honors Account
3. Verify your account info, check the boxes to agree to the terms, then click Link Accounts.
4. Click Accept to finish connecting your Hilton and Lyft accounts.
Once you’ve completed all of these steps, you’ll start earning Hilton Honors points every time you take a Lyft.
Best Cards for Lyft
As noted above, this is a fantastic triple-dip opportunity, as you can stack both of these bonuses with your standard credit card earnings. To maximize these purchases even further, use a card that offers additional rewards for ride-sharing. Here are a few recommendations:
Chase Sapphire Preferred Card: New cardholders will earn 60,000 Ultimate Rewards points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first three months after account opening. You’ll earn 2x points per dollar spent on all travel purchases, including Lyft.
Chase Sapphire Reserve: New cardholders will earn 50,000 Ultimate Rewards points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first three months from account opening. You’ll earn 3x points per dollar spent on all travel purchases, including Lyft.
Citi® / AAdvantage® Executive World Elite™ Mastercard®: Back in April, Mastercard announced that they would be adding a benefit to all World Elite cards allowing cardholders to earn a $10 credit for every five rides taken with Lyft in a calendar month. Once earned, the credit will automatically applied to the next ride, capped at once per month.
Other ways to save on Lyft
The World Elite Mastercard benefit is a great way to save on rides if you’re a frequent ride. However, if you don’t have a World Elite card and then you may want to check out Lyft Pink — a new membership program for frequent riders.
The membership costs $20 a month and offers up to 15% savings on all rides. It also comes with some pretty awesome perks like complimentary bikes and scooters, priority airport pick up and more. This could add up to some major savings for those who are frequent riders. The program is currently open to select members, but Lyft plans to make the membership available nationwide by the end of 2019.
Making the most of your points and miles can be a complicated thing, but in the case of Lyft’s partnerships with major loyalty programs, the opposite is true. By following the above steps to link your Lyft account to both Delta SkyMiles and Hilton Honors, you’ll be on your way to future travel rewards every time you hail a Lyft — with minimal effort on your part.
Featured photo by ANGELA WEISS/AFP/Getty Image
This card from Bank of America gets really interesting if you have a BofA checking, savings or investment account. Depending on the value of your combined accounts you can potentially get as much as 3.5x points on travel/dining and 2.625x points on other purchases making it the richest consumer banking bonus out there.
- Receive 50,000 bonus points – a $500 value – after you make at least $3,000 in purchases in the first 90 days of account opening
- Earn unlimited 2 points for every $1 spent on travel and dining purchases and unlimited 1.5 points per $1 spent on all other purchases
- If you're a Bank of America Preferred Rewards member, you can earn 25%-75% more points on every purchase
- No limit to the points you can earn and your points don't expire
- Redeem for cash back as a statement credit, deposit into eligible Bank of America® accounts, credit to eligible Merrill accounts, or gift cards or purchases at the Bank of America Travel Center
- Get up to $200 in combined airline incidental and airport expedited screening statement credits + valuable travel insurance protections
- No Foreign Transaction Fees
- Low $95 annual fee