4 reasons to get the Citi Premier Card
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Editor’s note: This post has been updated with the latest credit cards information and benefits.
Citi is a TPG advertising partner.
Official application link: Citi Premier℠ Card with a 60,000-point bonus after spending $4,000 in the first three months.
If you’re looking for a new credit card that provides a lot of value, the Citi Premier Card — with a solid sign-up bonus, strong category spending bonuses and valuable redemption options — should be on your short list. We’ve recently considered why the Citi Premier is particularly great for families, road trips and RV rentals — but let’s consider the main reasons you might want to add the card to your purse or wallet.
The information for the Citi Premier has been collected independently by The Points Guy. The card details on this page have not been reviewed or provided by the card issuer.
1. 60,000-point sign-up bonus
If you’ve been waiting to get the Citi Premier Card, now might be the perfect time. Currently, you can earn 60,000 ThankYou Rewards points after spending $4,000 in the first three months of account opening. Based on TPG’s latest valuations, 60,000 ThankYou points are worth $1,020 when transferred to Citi’s travel partners.
However, if you value simplicity or just want to use your points to purchase cash fares, the card gives you the option of redeeming miles for a paid fare directly at the Citi ThankYou travel center. With this redemption method, the 60,000-point sign-up bonus can be used to book $750 of paid airfare. (This will drop to $600 after April 10, 2021.) This also allows you to earn miles and elite qualifying credit with the airline.
2. Earn 3x on travel, including gas
The Citi Premier Card has strong bonus spending categories, especially for a card with an annual fee of $95:
- 3x points on travel (including gas)
- 2x points on restaurants and entertainment
- 1x points on all other purchases
These categories will be changing as of Aug. 23, 2020, but for now the bonus spending categories are broadly defined.
Travel spending includes purchases at:
“…airlines, hotels, car rental agencies, travel agencies/travel aggregators/tour operators, gas stations, commuter transportation, ferries, commuter railways, subways, taxis/limousines/car services, passenger railways, cruise lines, bridge and road tolls, parking lots/garages, campgrounds and trailer parks, timeshares, bus lines, motor home/recreational vehicle rentals and boat leases and rentals”
Based on TPG’s valuation of Citi ThankYou points at 1.7 cents each, you’ll earn a 5.1% return on travel and gas, making the Citi Premier Card one of the best cards for gas purchases. (Gas purchases at warehouse clubs, discount stores, department stores and convenience stores are excluded from 3x earnings and instead earn just 1x.)
The 2x dining out and entertainment bonus spending category is also broadly defined. You’ll earn 2x at restaurants — including cafes, bars, lounges and fast food restaurants — as well as on:
“…select entertainment, including live entertainment, live theatrical productions, concerts, live sporting events, movie theaters, amusement parks (including zoos, aquariums, circuses and carnivals), tourist attractions (including museums and art galleries), record stores, video rental stores and on-demand internet streaming media”
In the summer, those bonuses will be changing to:
- 3x on air travel and hotels
- 3x points at restaurants
- 3x points at supermarkets
- 3x at gas stations
- 1x on everything else
If you apply for this card before April 10, 2020, you’ll continue earning 3x points on all travel and 2x on entertainment through April 10, 2021.
3. Useful shopping protections
Citi has historically provided the best shopping protections of any major card issuer, but some shopping protections were removed from the Citi Premier Card as of Sept. 22, 2019. The shopping protections currently available are:
- Extended warranty protection — Adds an additional 24 months onto the manufacturer’s warranty
- Damage and theft protection — Repairs or replaces an item that’s damaged or stolen within 90 days of purchase (up to $10,000 per item and $50,000 per year)
4. Redemption possibilities
The Citi Premier Card participates in the ThankYou Rewards program, which means you can redeem Citi ThankYou points directly for airfare at the Citi ThankYou Travel Center for a fixed rate of 1.25 cents per point. This will be reduced to 1 cent per point on April 10, 2021, however. You’ll usually get better value by transferring your points to one of Citi’s 15 travel transfer partners:
- Air France/KLM Flying Blue
- Avianca LifeMiles
- Cathay Pacific Asia Miles
- Etihad Guest
- EVA Air Infinity MileageLands
- Garuda Indonesia Miles
- Jet Airways JetPrivilege
- JetBlue TrueBlue
- Malaysia Airlines Enrich
- Qantas Frequent Flyer
- Qatar Airways Privilege Club
- Singapore Airlines KrisFlyer
- Thai Royal Orchid Plus
- Virgin Atlantic Flying Club
JetBlue is the only U.S.-based airline among the transfer partners, but there’s still plenty of value in these partners, even for domestic travelers. For example, you can find cheap Delta awards by booking through Virgin Atlantic — like 50,000-mile business-class flights to Europe — or get excellent value on Star Alliance awards using Avianca LifeMiles, including domestic United flights.
The Citi Premier Card features useful shopping protections and strong category bonuses for travel, gas, dining and entertainment purchases. For more information on the Citi Premier Card, check out the following stories:
- Citi Premier: Should this be your next card?
- 5 reasons families need a Citi Premier Card
- Why the Citi Premier Is great for road trips and RV rentals
- Credit Card review: Citi Premier Card
- Maximizing the Citi Premier Card
Interested in applying? Here’s the link to apply now for the Citi Premier Card with a 60,000 point bonus.
Additional reporting by Carissa Rawson.
Featured photo by shapecharge/Getty Images
WELCOME OFFER: 60,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,200
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 60,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $750 toward travel when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®
- 2X points on travel and dining at restaurants worldwide & 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards. For example, 60,000 points are worth $750 toward travel
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on orders over $12 for a minimum of one year on qualifying food purchases with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Earn 5X points on Lyft rides through March 2022. That’s 3X points in addition to the 2X points you already earn on travel.