This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Update: Some offers mentioned below are no longer available. View the current offers here – Citi ThankYou Premier Card
Citi is changing up the ThankYou point earning structure just a little bit on the ThankYou Premier Card. TPG Editor-in-Chief Zach Honig received a letter in the mail from Citi explaining that the 3x points on travel earning was set to change for some purchases.
Beginning July 22, 2017, gas purchases made at warehouse clubs, discount stores, department stores and convenience stores will earn just 1 point per dollar. Prior to this change, all gas purchases fell under the card’s category of earning 3x points on travel purchases. So, this small change excludes gas purchases from select retailers from earning the category bonus.
This change isn’t drastic enough to alter the value of the card — there are still plenty of fantastic ThankYou point-earning opportunities to take advantage of. In this letter, Citi also detailed that an error caused some gas purchases made at convenience stores between November 15, 2015, and now to earn just 1x point. During that time, if you made (or will make) a gas purchase at a convenience store through July 21, 2017, you’ll receive an additional 2x points for every dollar spent. The additional points will post on your September or October 2017 statement.
As a reminder, the Citi ThankYou Premier Card currently comes with a sign-up bonus of 60,000 points after you spend $4,000 in purchases within the first three months. With the card, you’ll earn 3x points on travel purchases, 2x points on dining and entertainment and 1x points on all other purchases. There are no foreign transaction fees and a $95 annual fee (waived for the first 12 months).
Featured image courtesy of Mongkol Chuewong via Getty Images.
The American Express Platinum card has some of the best perks out there: cardholders enjoy the best domestic lounge access (Delta SkyClubs, Centurion Lounges, and Priority Pass), a $200 annual airline fee credit as well as up to $200 in Uber credits, and mid-tier elite status at SPG, Marriott, and Hilton. Combined with the 60,000 point welcome offer -- worth $1,140 based on TPG's valuations -- this card is a no-brainer for frequent travelers. Here are 5 reasons you should consider this card, as well as how you can figure out if the $550 annual fee makes sense for you.
- Earn 60,000 Membership Rewards® points after you use your new Card to make $5,000 in purchases in your first 3 months.
- Enjoy Uber VIP status and free rides in the U.S. up to $15 each month, plus a bonus $20 in December. That can be up to $200 in annual Uber savings.
- 5X Membership Rewards® points on flights booked directly with airlines or with American Express Travel.
- 5X Membership Rewards points on prepaid hotels booked on amextravel.com.
- Enjoy access to the Global Lounge Collection, the only credit card airport lounge access program that includes proprietary lounge locations around the world.
- Receive complimentary benefits with an average total value of $550 with Fine Hotels & Resorts. Learn More.
- $200 Airline Fee Credit, up to $200 per calendar year in baggage fees and more at one qualifying airline.
- Get up to $100 in statement credits annually for purchases at Saks Fifth Avenue on your Platinum Card®. Enrollment required.
- $550 annual fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees