This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Update: Some offers mentioned below are no longer available. View the current offers here: Citi Premier Card
Citi is changing up the ThankYou point earning structure just a little bit on the Citi Premier Card. TPG Editor-in-Chief Zach Honig received a letter in the mail from Citi explaining that the 3x points on travel earning was set to change for some purchases.
Beginning July 22, 2017, gas purchases made at warehouse clubs, discount stores, department stores and convenience stores will earn just 1 point per dollar. Prior to this change, all gas purchases fell under the card’s category of earning 3x points on travel purchases. So, this small change excludes gas purchases from select retailers from earning the category bonus.
This change isn’t drastic enough to alter the value of the card — there are still plenty of fantastic ThankYou point-earning opportunities to take advantage of. In this letter, Citi also detailed that an error caused some gas purchases made at convenience stores between November 15, 2015, and now to earn just 1x point. During that time, if you made (or will make) a gas purchase at a convenience store through July 21, 2017, you’ll receive an additional 2x points for every dollar spent. The additional points will post on your September or October 2017 statement.
As a reminder, the Citi Premier Card currently comes with a sign-up bonus of 50,000 points after you spend $4,000 in purchases within the first three months. With the card, you’ll earn 3x points on travel purchases, 2x points on dining and entertainment and 1x points on all other purchases. There are no foreign transaction fees and a $95 annual fee (waived for the first 12 months).
Featured image courtesy of Mongkol Chuewong via Getty Images.
With great travel benefits, 2x points on travel & dining and a 50,000 point sign up bonus, the Chase Sapphire Preferred is a great card for those looking to get into the points and miles game. Here are the top 5 reasons it should be in your wallet, or read our definitive review for more details.
- Earn 50,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $625 toward travel when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®
- Chase Sapphire Preferred named "Best Credit Card for Flexible Travel Redemption" - Kiplinger's Personal Finance, June 2018
- 2X points on travel and dining at restaurants worldwide & 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- No foreign transaction fees
- 1:1 point transfer to leading airline and hotel loyalty programs
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards. For example, 50,000 points are worth $625 toward travel
- No blackout dates or travel restrictions - as long as there's a seat on the flight, you can book it through Chase Ultimate Rewards