This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Citi is changing up the ThankYou point earning structure just a little bit on the ThankYou Premier Card. TPG Editor-in-Chief Zach Honig received a letter in the mail from Citi explaining that the 3x points on travel earning was set to change for some purchases.
Beginning July 22, 2017, gas purchases made at warehouse clubs, discount stores, department stores and convenience stores will earn just 1 point per dollar. Prior to this change, all gas purchases fell under the card’s category of earning 3x points on travel purchases. So, this small change excludes gas purchases from select retailers from earning the category bonus.
This change isn’t drastic enough to alter the value of the card — there are still plenty of fantastic ThankYou point-earning opportunities to take advantage of. In this letter, Citi also detailed that an error caused some gas purchases made at convenience stores between November 15, 2015, and now to earn just 1x point. During that time, if you made (or will make) a gas purchase at a convenience store through July 21, 2017, you’ll receive an additional 2x points for every dollar spent. The additional points will post on your September or October 2017 statement.
As a reminder, the Citi ThankYou Premier Card currently comes with a sign-up bonus of 60,000 points after you spend $4,000 in purchases within the first three months. With the card, you’ll earn 3x points on travel purchases, 2x points on dining and entertainment and 1x points on all other purchases. There are no foreign transaction fees and a $95 annual fee (waived for the first 12 months).
Featured image courtesy of Mongkol Chuewong via Getty Images.
This cash back card has a focus on dining and entertainment where you can earn unlimited 4% cash back in those spending categories. You can also earn 2% cash back at grocery stores and 1% cash back on all other purchases.
- Earn a one-time $500 cash bonus after you spend $3000 on purchases within the first 3 months from account opening
- Earn unlimited 4% cash back on dining and entertainment, 2% at grocery stores and 1% on all other purchases
- No rotating categories or sign-ups needed to earn cash rewards; plus cash back won't expire for the life of the account and there's no limit to how much you can earn
- No foreign transaction fees
- Access to premium experiences in dining, entertainment and more
- $0 intro annual fee for the first year, $95 after that