Citi Cuts Earnings for Some Gas Purchases With the ThankYou Premier Card
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Update: Some offers mentioned below are no longer available. View the current offers here.
Citi is changing up the ThankYou point earning structure just a little bit on the Citi Premier® Card. TPG Editor-in-Chief Zach Honig received a letter in the mail from Citi explaining that the 3x points on travel earning was set to change for some purchases.
Beginning July 22, 2017, gas purchases made at warehouse clubs, discount stores, department stores and convenience stores will earn just 1 point per dollar. Prior to this change, all gas purchases fell under the card’s category of earning 3x points on travel purchases. So, this small change excludes gas purchases from select retailers from earning the category bonus.
This change isn’t drastic enough to alter the value of the card — there are still plenty of fantastic ThankYou point-earning opportunities to take advantage of. In this letter, Citi also detailed that an error caused some gas purchases made at convenience stores between November 15, 2015, and now to earn just 1x point. During that time, if you made (or will make) a gas purchase at a convenience store through July 21, 2017, you’ll receive an additional 2x points for every dollar spent. The additional points will post on your September or October 2017 statement.
As a reminder, the Citi Premier® Card currently comes with a sign-up bonus of 50,000 points after you spend $4,000 in purchases within the first three months. With the card, you’ll earn 3x points on travel purchases, 2x points on dining and entertainment and 1x points on all other purchases. There are no foreign transaction fees and a $95 annual fee (waived for the first 12 months).
Featured image courtesy of Mongkol Chuewong via Getty Images.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 50,000 bonus miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new card in the first three months of card membership. Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at U.S. restaurants in the first three months of card membership.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Earn 50,000 Bonus Miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months.
- Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at U.S. restaurants with your card within the first 3 months of membership.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees