Emirates added as new Citi ThankYou partner
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Citi is a TPG advertising partner
Emirates’ 777-300ER first class is easily one of the best first-class products in the sky, but it’s not particularly easy to book with miles. However, this top-notch cabin – and other Emirates products – just got a little easier to book even though we’re not traveling right now, thanks to a new partnership between Emirates and Citi.
For more TPG news performed each morning to your inbox, sign up for our daily newsletter.
Citi now partners with 16 airline programs, including Emirates. Points will instantly transfer at a 1:1 ratio. This is a good feature, as Citi ThankYou point transfer times are notoriously hit and miss. While some transfer instantly, more than a few require one or more days.
Citi now marks the fifth transfer partner for Emirates. You can transfer points to Skywards from both American Express Membership Rewards and Capital One at a 1:1 ratio and 2:1 ratio, respectively. In both cases, points transfer instantly. You can also transfer Marriott points at a 3:1 ratio, with a 5,000-mile bonus for every 60,000 Marriott points transferred. Last August, Emirates joined Chase Ultimate Rewards as an airline partner, offering 1:1 transfers.
Note that in many cases, Skywards redemptions come along with some very hefty surcharges, so you could be on the hook for a significant cash copay, depending on your origin, destination and class of service.
For example, a one-way first-class award from Newark (EWR) to Dubai (DXB) requires 136,250 miles plus $824. Considering that TPG values ThankYou points at 1.7 cents each, you’d be looking at $2,316 worth of points alone — and a total cash equivalent of just over $3,100. But if you’re curious, that same flight will set you back nearly $15,000 if booked in cash.
You may be able to get more value by booking one of Emirates’ collection of one-off airline partners. The airline isn’t a member of any of the three major alliances but does partner directly with several carriers, including JetBlue and Alaska.
If you don’t have a stash of ThankYou points in your account, you can earn them with several Citi credit cards, including the Citi Premier® Card, which offers a 80,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 in purchases within the first 3 months of account opening. As a World Elite Mastercard, the Citi Premier comes with a slew of perks for travelers, like a $10 discount on every five Lyft rides taken within a calendar month, free two-day shipping from ShopRunner.
Other cards like the Citi Prestige® Card, offering 50,000 points after you spend $4,000 in the first three months of account opening, or the Citi Rewards+® Card, which offers a limited-time offer of 20,000 ThankYou bonus points after you spend $1,500 in purchases in the first three months of account opening provide healthy bonuses if Emirates is your dream redemption.
Emirates Skywards is a nice – if not particularly groundbreaking – addition to the ThankYou program, giving Citi cardholders new options for booking the airline’s premium cabins, along with flights on both U.S. and international partners. It makes this program even more valuable to points and miles collectors.
The information for the Citi Prestige has been collected independently by The Points Guy. The card details on this page have not been reviewed or provided by the card issuer.
Featured photo by STAN HONDA/AFP/Getty Images.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new card in the first three months of card membership. Offer ends 11/10/2021.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer expires 11/10/2021.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees