Credit card showdown: Amex Business Gold vs. Amex Business Platinum
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Editor’s note: This is a recurring post, regularly updated with new information.
In the American Express lineup of small-business cards, the American Express® Business Gold Card and The Business Platinum Card® from American Express are two popular offerings. Both are well known but have been refreshed to stay competitive in the marketplace for small-business reward cards. Let’s take a look at these cards and see which one might be best for you.
Benefits common to both cards
As premium travel rewards cards, both come with many of the same features, including:
- Membership Rewards points — Membership Rewards points can be transferred to miles with 19 airlines and three hotel loyalty programs. When used in this manner, points are currently worth 2 cents each, according to TPG’s latest monthly valuations.
- Purchase protection — Your eligible purchases are covered against accidental damage or theft for 120 days (90 days for New York residents) for up to $1,000 per incident with the Business Gold and for up to $10,000 per incident with the Business Platinum. However, coverage related to natural disasters is limited to $500 per incident.
- Extended warranty — Your purchases receive up to one additional year of warranty service on purchases with warranties of five years or less.
- Baggage insurance — Business Gold cardholders receive up to $500 worth of insurance for damaged, stolen or lost checked bags ($1,250 for carry-ons), while Business Platinum cardholders will receive up to $2,000 for checked bags ($3,000 for carry-ons) when traveling on any common carrier such as aircraft, trains, ships or buses. You must pay for the full fare using the card — just paying taxes and fees on an award ticket doesn’t count — and there’s a $1,000 cap ($250 for the Business Gold) for high-risk items.
- The Hotel Collection — Get up to a $100 hotel credit on qualifying charges, plus a room upgrade upon arrival (when available), when you book a stay of two nights or longer with The Hotel Collection.
- Premium roadside assistance — This benefit will dispatch and pay for emergency automotive services up to four times per year, including changing a flat tire, jump-starting a battery and towing your car up to 10 miles.
- Account manager — Most credit cards only allow the primary cardholder to make inquiries or changes to the account, but this service lets you easily designate employees or other individuals who can manage your account with either full or limited access, making it easier to delegate tasks like reviewing statements, adding authorized users, making payments and disputing charges.
- American Express Business App — This tool allows you to manage expenses from either your desktop or mobile device by entering receipts, tagging transactions and adding notes to your statements. You can also sync this data with QuickBooks.
- Employee card features — To help you earn rewards from your employees’ spending while mitigating the risk of fraudulent transactions, Amex small-business cards allow you to limit the purchases of authorized cardholders and set real-time alerts.
- No foreign transaction fees — Neither the Amex Business Gold (see rates and fees) nor the Business Platinum (see rates and fees) charges fees when you use your card abroad.
- Metal card — Both the Business Gold and the Business Platinum feature heavy metal cards.
- Pay Over Time — These cards have no preset spending limit. You can, however, Amex’s Pay Over Time feature allows you to extend payment on certain purchases.
American Express Business Gold Card
Current welcome offer
Earn 35,000 Membership Rewards® points after you spend $5,000 on eligible purchases with the Business Gold Card within the first three months of card membership.
Earn 4x points — an 8% return based on TPG’s valuations — on your first $150,000 in combined purchases each calendar year (then 1x) from two of the following six categories where your company spent the most each billing cycle:
- U.S. purchases at restaurants
- Airfare purchased directly from airlines
- U.S. purchases for advertising in select media (online, TV, radio)
- U.S. gas stations (not including supermarkets or warehouse stores)
- U.S. shipping
- U.S. purchases made directly from select technology providers of computer hardware, software and cloud solutions
You earn 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases, with no limits. Amex will automatically calculate which categories you spend the most in each month to award your 4x points.
- 25% Pay with Points rebate — You’ll get 25% of your points back when you redeem points at Amex Travel to pay for first- or business-class airfare on any airline, or economy-class tickets with a carrier you can select each year. Award flights booked this way are treated as revenue tickets, so you’ll earn both redeemable miles and elite credit on them. Note that you must have the full number of required points in your account in order to book travel and your rebate will be issued within six to 10 weeks. This rebate is capped at 250,000 points per calendar year.
- Pay Over Time — Business Gold cardmembers are automatically enrolled in the Pay Over Time program, which offers an extended payment option for eligible purchases of $100 or more.
See our full card review for more details.
Annual fee: $295 (see rates and fees)
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Aside from the 85,000-point welcome bonus, Amex recently made huge improvements to the Business Platinum Card, including the fact that you will now earn 50% more points on purchases of $5,000 or more (up to a cap amount), earn 5x on flights and eligible hotels at Amextravel.com and cardholders will receive an up to $200 annual airline fee credit each calendar year.
- Earn 85,000 Membership Rewards® points after you spend $15,000 on eligible purchases with the Business Platinum Card plus earn 5x points on eligible purchases in 5 select business categories, up to 80,000 bonus points per category, all within the first 3 months of Card Membership.† Terms Apply.
- Get 50% more Membership Rewards® points. That's an extra half point per dollar, on each eligible purchase of $5,000 or more. You can get up to 1 million additional points per year.
- 35% Airline Bonus: Use Membership Rewards® Pay with Points for all or part of a flight with your selected qualifying airline, and you can get 35% of the points back, up to 500,000 bonus points per calendar year when you book on amextravel.com.
- Get 5X Membership Rewards® points on flights and prepaid hotels on amextravel.com.
- Enroll to get up to $200 in statement credits annually by getting up to $100 semi-annually for U.S. purchases with Dell. Terms apply.
- Pay Over Time Option: A flexible payment option to help manage cash flow on purchases of $100 or more.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees