This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Amex recently introduced the American Express® Business Gold Card, which effectively refreshes the card formerly known as the Business Gold Rewards card. This new card offers many great features, and it falls just below the The Business Platinum® Card from American Express in Amex’s lineup of small business credit and charge cards. Let’s take a look at these two premium small business cards, and see which one might be right for you.
Benefits Common to Both Cards
As premium travel rewards cards, both come with many of the same features, including:
- Membership Rewards points earning — Membership Rewards points can be transferred to miles with 18 different airline programs or to points with three different hotel programs. Membership Rewards points are currently worth 2 cents each according to TPG’s latest monthly valuations.
- Purchase protection — Your eligible purchases are covered against accidental damage or theft for 90 days (up to $1,000 per occurrence with the Business Gold Card, and $10,000 with the Business Platinum card).
- Extended warranty — Your purchases receive two additional years of warranty service on purchases with warranties of 5 years or less.
- Baggage insurance — Business Gold card holders will receive up to $500 worth of insurance for lost or delayed checked bags ($1,250 for carry-ons), while Business Platinum card holders will receive up to $2,000 for checked bags ($3,000 for carry-ons) when traveling on any common carrier such as aircraft, trains, ships or buses.
- The Hotel Collection — Get a $75 hotel credit on qualifying charges, plus a room upgrade upon arrival, when available with The Hotel Collection.
- Premium roadside assistance — This benefit will dispatch and pay for emergency automotive services up to four times per year, including changing a flat tire, jump-starting a battery and towing your car up to 10 miles.
- Account manager — While most credit cards only allow the primary card holder to make inquiries or changes to the account, this service lets you easily designate employees or other individuals who can manage your account with either full or limited access, making it easier to delegate tasks like reviewing statements, adding authorized users, making payments and disputing charges.
- ReceiptMatch — This tool allows you to manage expenses from either your desktop or mobile device by entering receipts, tagging transactions and adding notes to your statements. You can also sync this data with QuickBooks.
- Employee card features — To help you earn rewards from your employees’ spending while mitigating the risk of fraudulent transactions, Amex small business cards allow you to limit the purchases of authorized cardholders and set real-time alerts.
- No foreign transaction fees
- Metal card — Both the new Business Gold and the Business Platinum now feature heavy, metal cards.
- Charge card — These are actually charge cards instead of credit cards, meaning that you’re expected to pay each month’s statement balance in full, but you also have no preset spending limit. However, you can opt in to Amex’s Pay Over Time feature that allows you to extend payment on certain purchases.
The New Business Gold Card from American Express
Current Welcome Bonus
Instead of Membership Rewards as a welcome bonus, this card currently offers statement credits for the following business services purchased within your first 12 months of card membership:
- Up to one year of free of Google’s G Suite Basic for up to three users
- Up to one year of ZipRecruiter Standard
These two offers have a combined value of up to $3,188. You may be able to get a 50,000-point welcome bonus through a referral link instead (subject to change at anytime).
Earn 4x points on your first $150,000 in combined purchases each calendar year (then 1x) from two of the following six categories:
- US purchases at restaurants (which is new to the refreshed version of this card)
- Airfare purchased directly from airlines
- US purchases for advertising in select media (online, TV, radio)
- US gas stations (not including supermarkets or warehouse stores)
- US shipping
- US purchases made directly from select technology providers of computer hardware, software and cloud solutions
You earn 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases, with no limits.
- 25% Pay with Points Rebate — You’ll get 25% of your points back when you redeem points at Amex Travel to pay for first or business-class airfare on any airline, or economy-class tickets with an airline you can select each year. Award flights booked this way are treated as revenue tickets, so you’ll earn both redeemable miles and elite credit on them.
- Pay Over Time — Business Gold card members are automatically enrolled in the Pay Over Time program, which offers an extended payment option for purchases over $100. Therefore, this card is somewhat of a hybrid between a credit card and a charge card, which requires you to pay off your balance in full each month.
Annual fee: $295
Authorized user details: There is no fee to add up to 99 additional authorized employee card holders.
Get up to 1 year free of G Suite Basic (for up to 3 users) and up to 1 year of ZipRecruiter Standard
- More Rewards: Get 4X Membership Rewards® points on the 2 select categories where your business spent the most each month †
- †4X points apply to the first $150,000 in combined purchases from these 2 categories each calendar year.*
- Airline Bonus: Get 25% points back after you use points for all or part of an eligible flight booked with Amex Travel, up to 250,000 points back per calendar year.*
- Exclusive Offers: Get up to 1 year free on subscriptions to both G Suite Basic for up to 3 users and ZipRecruiter Standard, a combined value up to $3,188.*
- Pay Over Time Option: A flexible payment option to help manage cash flow on purchases of $100 or more.*
- Expense Management Tools: Connect to Quickbooks, access SpendManager℠, receive a Year-End Summary, and more.*
- Add Employee Cards with a no annual fee option. Earn rewards on employee purchases and track employee expenses with spending limits, alerts, and summary reports.*
- *Terms Apply
- See Rates & Fees