Flash Sale: Save 50% on TAP Business Class and Economy Flights
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Update 2/8/19: We’ve confirmed that the discount is now being applied, though many of the most significantly discounted seats have already been claimed.
Update 2/8/19: TAP’s discount codes are currently generating an error, so it’s not possible to book a discounted flight at this time. The airline’s working on a fix and we’ll update this post when the issue has been resolved.
While its US footprint has traditionally been quite small, TAP Air Portugal is in the midst of a significant expansion, introducing two new long-haul aircraft — the Airbus A330neo and A321LR — and a handful of new routes throughout the United States, from San Francisco (SFO) to Washington, D.C. (IAD).
Now, perhaps in an effort to drum up some buzz around its new aircraft and routes, the airline just launched a global 50% off sale, covering both economy fares and business class. According to TAP, “every seat on every flight departing this month will be half price, to all of TAP’s 89 destinations around the world.” That’s pretty fantastic.
You’ll need to book through the airline by 6:59pm ET on Sunday to get the discounted rate, and you need to begin travel by February 28, 2019 in order for your itinerary to be eligible, though you can return whenever you like.
While the promo codes above weren’t yet activated at the time of this writing, the airline has offered up some sample fares so we know what to expect:
“Round-trip economy fares to Lisbon start at $375 with no checked bags, or $405 with a checked bag. Sale fares also include up to five nights’ Stopover in Lisbon or Porto, en route to or from the final destination, for no additional airfare. Beyond fares, to destinations including Rome and Madrid, start from $390 round-trip. Round-trip fares to Lisbon in business class start from just $1,325.”
You can easily add a stopover in Lisbon or Porto — while there won’t be any additional airfare cost, you may be responsible for nominal taxes and fees.
Maximize Your Purchase
Don’t forget to use a credit card that earns additional points on airfare purchases to pay the taxes and fees, such as the Platinum Card® from American Express (5x on flights booked directly with airlines or American Express Travel), American Express® Gold Card, Chase Sapphire Reserve, Citi Premier® Card (3x on airfare), Citi Prestige (5x on airfare) or the Chase Sapphire Preferred Card (2x on all travel purchases). Check out this post for more on maximizing airfare purchases.
For more on what it’s like to fly TAP Air Portugal, see:
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 50,000 bonus miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new card in the first three months of card membership. Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at U.S. restaurants in the first three months of card membership.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Earn 50,000 Bonus Miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months.
- Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at U.S. restaurants with your card within the first 3 months of membership.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees