This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Update 2/8/19: We’ve confirmed that the discount is now being applied, though many of the most significantly discounted seats have already been claimed.
Update 2/8/19: TAP’s discount codes are currently generating an error, so it’s not possible to book a discounted flight at this time. The airline’s working on a fix and we’ll update this post when the issue has been resolved.
While its US footprint has traditionally been quite small, TAP Air Portugal is in the midst of a significant expansion, introducing two new long-haul aircraft — the Airbus A330neo and A321LR — and a handful of new routes throughout the United States, from San Francisco (SFO) to Washington, D.C. (IAD).
Now, perhaps in an effort to drum up some buzz around its new aircraft and routes, the airline just launched a global 50% off sale, covering both economy fares and business class. According to TAP, “every seat on every flight departing this month will be half price, to all of TAP’s 89 destinations around the world.” That’s pretty fantastic.
You’ll need to book through the airline by 6:59pm ET on Sunday to get the discounted rate, and you need to begin travel by February 28, 2019 in order for your itinerary to be eligible, though you can return whenever you like.
While the promo codes above weren’t yet activated at the time of this writing, the airline has offered up some sample fares so we know what to expect:
“Round-trip economy fares to Lisbon start at $375 with no checked bags, or $405 with a checked bag. Sale fares also include up to five nights’ Stopover in Lisbon or Porto, en route to or from the final destination, for no additional airfare. Beyond fares, to destinations including Rome and Madrid, start from $390 round-trip. Round-trip fares to Lisbon in business class start from just $1,325.”
You can easily add a stopover in Lisbon or Porto — while there won’t be any additional airfare cost, you may be responsible for nominal taxes and fees.
Maximize Your Purchase
Don’t forget to use a credit card that earns additional points on airfare purchases to pay the taxes and fees, such as the Platinum Card® from American Express (5x on flights booked directly with airlines or American Express Travel), American Express® Gold Card, Chase Sapphire Reserve, Citi Premier Card, Citi Prestige (5x on airfare) or the Chase Sapphire Preferred Card (2x on all travel purchases). Check out this post for more on maximizing airfare purchases.
For more on what it’s like to fly TAP Air Portugal, see:
- A Review of TAP Air Portugal’s A320 in Economy From Lisbon to Accra
- TAP Air Portugal (A330) in Lie-Flat Business From Newark to Lisbon
- Flying Business Class on the World’s First Airbus A330neo
Know before you go.
News and deals straight to your inbox every day.
WELCOME OFFER: 60,000 Points Terms Apply.
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION: $1,200
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: Delta Sky Club and Centurion lounge access, $200 annual airline fee credit and up to $200 in Uber credits annually
- Earn 60,000 Membership Rewards® points after you use your new Card to make $5,000 in purchases in your first 3 months.
- Enjoy Uber VIP status and free rides in the U.S. up to $15 each month, plus a bonus $20 in December. That can be up to $200 in annual Uber savings.
- 5X Membership Rewards® points on flights booked directly with airlines or with American Express Travel.
- 5X Membership Rewards points on prepaid hotels booked on amextravel.com.
- Enjoy access to the Global Lounge Collection, the only credit card airport lounge access program that includes proprietary lounge locations around the world.
- Receive complimentary benefits with an average total value of $550 with Fine Hotels & Resorts. Learn More.
- $200 Airline Fee Credit, up to $200 per calendar year in baggage fees and more at one qualifying airline.
- Get up to $100 in statement credits annually for purchases at Saks Fifth Avenue on your Platinum Card®. Enrollment required.
- $550 annual fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees