Flash Sale: Save 50% on TAP Business Class and Economy Flights
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Update 2/8/19: We’ve confirmed that the discount is now being applied, though many of the most significantly discounted seats have already been claimed.
Update 2/8/19: TAP’s discount codes are currently generating an error, so it’s not possible to book a discounted flight at this time. The airline’s working on a fix and we’ll update this post when the issue has been resolved.
While its US footprint has traditionally been quite small, TAP Air Portugal is in the midst of a significant expansion, introducing two new long-haul aircraft — the Airbus A330neo and A321LR — and a handful of new routes throughout the United States, from San Francisco (SFO) to Washington, D.C. (IAD).
Now, perhaps in an effort to drum up some buzz around its new aircraft and routes, the airline just launched a global 50% off sale, covering both economy fares and business class. According to TAP, “every seat on every flight departing this month will be half price, to all of TAP’s 89 destinations around the world.” That’s pretty fantastic.
You’ll need to book through the airline by 6:59pm ET on Sunday to get the discounted rate, and you need to begin travel by February 28, 2019 in order for your itinerary to be eligible, though you can return whenever you like.
While the promo codes above weren’t yet activated at the time of this writing, the airline has offered up some sample fares so we know what to expect:
“Round-trip economy fares to Lisbon start at $375 with no checked bags, or $405 with a checked bag. Sale fares also include up to five nights’ Stopover in Lisbon or Porto, en route to or from the final destination, for no additional airfare. Beyond fares, to destinations including Rome and Madrid, start from $390 round-trip. Round-trip fares to Lisbon in business class start from just $1,325.”
You can easily add a stopover in Lisbon or Porto — while there won’t be any additional airfare cost, you may be responsible for nominal taxes and fees.
Maximize Your Purchase
Don’t forget to use a credit card that earns additional points on airfare purchases to pay the taxes and fees, such as the Platinum Card® from American Express (5x on flights booked directly with airlines or American Express Travel), American Express® Gold Card, Chase Sapphire Reserve, Citi Premier® Card (3x on airfare), Citi Prestige (5x on airfare) or the Chase Sapphire Preferred Card (2x on all travel purchases). Check out this post for more on maximizing airfare purchases.
For more on what it’s like to fly TAP Air Portugal, see:
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 60,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,200
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 60,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $750 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. Plus earn up to $50 in statement credits towards grocery store purchases.
- 2X points on dining at restaurants including eligible delivery services, takeout and dining out and travel & 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for travel through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 60,000 points are worth $750 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories.
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on eligible orders over $12 for a minimum of one year with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Earn 2x total points on up to $1,000 in grocery store purchases per month from November 1, 2020 to April 30, 2021. Includes eligible pick-up and delivery services.