This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Update 2/8/19: We’ve confirmed that the discount is now being applied, though many of the most significantly discounted seats have already been claimed.
Update 2/8/19: TAP’s discount codes are currently generating an error, so it’s not possible to book a discounted flight at this time. The airline’s working on a fix and we’ll update this post when the issue has been resolved.
While its US footprint has traditionally been quite small, TAP Air Portugal is in the midst of a significant expansion, introducing two new long-haul aircraft — the Airbus A330neo and A321LR — and a handful of new routes throughout the United States, from San Francisco (SFO) to Washington, D.C. (IAD).
Now, perhaps in an effort to drum up some buzz around its new aircraft and routes, the airline just launched a global 50% off sale, covering both economy fares and business class. According to TAP, “every seat on every flight departing this month will be half price, to all of TAP’s 89 destinations around the world.” That’s pretty fantastic.
You’ll need to book through the airline by 6:59pm ET on Sunday to get the discounted rate, and you need to begin travel by February 28, 2019 in order for your itinerary to be eligible, though you can return whenever you like.
While the promo codes above weren’t yet activated at the time of this writing, the airline has offered up some sample fares so we know what to expect:
“Round-trip economy fares to Lisbon start at $375 with no checked bags, or $405 with a checked bag. Sale fares also include up to five nights’ Stopover in Lisbon or Porto, en route to or from the final destination, for no additional airfare. Beyond fares, to destinations including Rome and Madrid, start from $390 round-trip. Round-trip fares to Lisbon in business class start from just $1,325.”
You can easily add a stopover in Lisbon or Porto — while there won’t be any additional airfare cost, you may be responsible for nominal taxes and fees.
Maximize Your Purchase
Don’t forget to use a credit card that earns additional points on airfare purchases to pay the taxes and fees, such as the Platinum Card® from American Express (5x on flights booked directly with airlines or American Express Travel), American Express® Gold Card, Chase Sapphire Reserve, Citi Premier, Citi Prestige (5x on airfare) or the Chase Sapphire Preferred Card (2x on all travel purchases). Check out this post for more on maximizing airfare purchases.
For more on what it’s like to fly TAP Air Portugal, see:
- A Review of TAP Air Portugal’s A320 in Economy From Lisbon to Accra
- TAP Air Portugal (A330) in Lie-Flat Business From Newark to Lisbon
- Flying Business Class on the World’s First Airbus A330neo
Know before you go.
News and deals straight to your inbox every day.
With great travel benefits, 2x points on travel & dining and a 50,000 point sign up bonus, the Chase Sapphire Preferred is a great card for those looking to get into the points and miles game. Here are the top 5 reasons it should be in your wallet, or read our definitive review for more details.
- Earn 50,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $625 toward travel when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®
- Chase Sapphire Preferred named "Best Credit Card for Flexible Travel Redemption" - Kiplinger's Personal Finance, June 2018
- 2X points on travel and dining at restaurants worldwide & 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- No foreign transaction fees
- 1:1 point transfer to leading airline and hotel loyalty programs
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards. For example, 50,000 points are worth $625 toward travel
- No blackout dates or travel restrictions - as long as there's a seat on the flight, you can book it through Chase Ultimate Rewards