This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
It’s been an incredible month for jaw-dropping first-class cabins. Travelers with deep pockets, or with a nice stash of points and miles, now have two outstanding options for uber-luxury travel: Emirates’ entirely redesigned suite on thhe boeing 777-300ER, which launched on December 1, and Singapore’s gigantic new first-class product, which will be available on one A380 flight to Sydney (SYD) beginning on Monday.
I had an opportunity to explore Singapore’s new first class onboard the delivery flight from Airbus HQ in Toulouse, France (TLS) this week, and even got a private tour from Shanti, one of the airline’s most celebrated flight attendants. I’ll be chiming in with some more suites coverage over the next few days, but your first stop should be Shanti’s tour below.
Initially, the new product is only available on one Airbus A380, with registration 9V-SKU. That’s the plane that launches on the Sydney route this coming Monday, operating the following flights:
- SQ221 Singapore (SIN) 8:40pm Departure ⇒ Sydney (SYD) 7:40am (+1) Arrival
- SQ232 Sydney (SYD) 12:15pm Departure ⇒ Singapore (SIN) 5:35pm Arrival
Round-trip flights with the new suite product will run you upwards of $6,242. Award flights start at 80,000 KrisFlyer miles at the saver level, but I’m only seeing standard awards, priced at 150,000 miles each way. See this post for more on using your miles to fly in the new suites.
Singapore’s four remaining A380s on order and still in production will all sport the new suites, and late next year, the carrier will begin retrofitting its current fleet to include the new first-class cabin, in addition to brand-new business-class seats, new coach seats and the premium-economy product that’s already flying today.
While the next flight to get the new product has yet to be confirmed, I’d put my money on one of the daily London (LHR) frequencies, or perhaps another destination in Europe. All of the Singapore-owned A380s are expected to offer the refreshed cabins by the end of 2020, but hopefully we’ll see this fantastic new suite flying to New York (JFK) long before then.
For more on Singapore’s new A380, see:
- Touring the Gigantic New Singapore A380 Suite at Airbus HQ
- First Look at Singapore Airlines’ Brand-New Business Class
- Singapore Airlines’ A380 Is Staying on the New York Route
With great travel benefits, 2x points on travel & dining and a 50,000 point sign up bonus, the Chase Sapphire Preferred is a great card for those looking to get into the points and miles game. Here are the top 5 reasons it should be in your wallet, or read our definitive review for more details.
- Earn 50,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $625 toward travel when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®
- Chase Sapphire Preferred® named a 'Best Travel Credit Card' by MONEY® Magazine, 2016-2017
- 2X points on travel and dining at restaurants worldwide & 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Earn 5,000 bonus points after you add the first authorized user and make a purchase in the first 3 months from account opening
- No foreign transaction fees
- 1:1 point transfer to leading airline and hotel loyalty programs
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for travel through Chase Ultimate Rewards. For example, 50,000 points are worth $625 toward travel.
- No blackout dates or travel restrictions - as long as there's a seat on the flight, you can book it through Chase Ultimate Rewards