This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
It’s been an incredible month for jaw-dropping first-class cabins. Travelers with deep pockets, or with a nice stash of points and miles, now have two outstanding options for uber-luxury travel: Emirates’ entirely redesigned suite on thhe boeing 777-300ER, which launched on December 1, and Singapore’s gigantic new first-class product, which will be available on one A380 flight to Sydney (SYD) beginning on Monday.
I had an opportunity to explore Singapore’s new first class onboard the delivery flight from Airbus HQ in Toulouse, France (TLS) this week, and even got a private tour from Shanti, one of the airline’s most celebrated flight attendants. I’ll be chiming in with some more suites coverage over the next few days, but your first stop should be Shanti’s tour below.
Initially, the new product is only available on one Airbus A380, with registration 9V-SKU. That’s the plane that launches on the Sydney route this coming Monday, operating the following flights:
- SQ221 Singapore (SIN) 8:40pm Departure ⇒ Sydney (SYD) 7:40am (+1) Arrival
- SQ232 Sydney (SYD) 12:15pm Departure ⇒ Singapore (SIN) 5:35pm Arrival
Round-trip flights with the new suite product will run you upwards of $6,242. Award flights start at 80,000 KrisFlyer miles at the saver level, but I’m only seeing standard awards, priced at 150,000 miles each way. See this post for more on using your miles to fly in the new suites.
Singapore’s four remaining A380s on order and still in production will all sport the new suites, and late next year, the carrier will begin retrofitting its current fleet to include the new first-class cabin, in addition to brand-new business-class seats, new coach seats and the premium-economy product that’s already flying today.
While the next flight to get the new product has yet to be confirmed, I’d put my money on one of the daily London (LHR) frequencies, or perhaps another destination in Europe. All of the Singapore-owned A380s are expected to offer the refreshed cabins by the end of 2020, but hopefully we’ll see this fantastic new suite flying to New York (JFK) long before then.
For more on Singapore’s new A380, see:
- Touring the Gigantic New Singapore A380 Suite at Airbus HQ
- First Look at Singapore Airlines’ Brand-New Business Class
- Singapore Airlines’ A380 Is Staying on the New York Route
LIMITED TIME OFFER. Aside from the 100,000 points welcome bonus (available until 8/8/18), Amex recently made huge improvements to the Business Platinum Card, including the fact that you will now earn 50% more points on purchases of $5,000 or more, earn 5x on flights and eligible hotels at Amextravel.com and cardholders will receive a $200 airline fee credit each year.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn up to 100,000 Membership Rewards® Points.
- Earn 50,000 Membership Rewards® points after you spend $10,000 & an extra 50,000 points after you spend an additional $15,000 all on qualifying purchases within your first 3 months of Card Membership. Offer ends 8/8/18.†
- Get 5X Membership Rewards® points on flights and prepaid hotels on amextravel.com.
- Get 50% more Membership Rewards® points. That's 1.5 points per dollar, on each eligible purchase of $5,000 or more. You can get up to 1 million additional points per year.
- 35% Airline Bonus: Use Membership Rewards® Pay with Points for all or part of a flight with your selected qualifying airline, and you can get 35% of the points back, up to 500,000 bonus points per calendar year.
- You can also receive 35% points back on all First and Business class flights, with all airlines available through American Express Travel.
- You can enjoy access to The American Express Global Lounge Collection℠ offering access to the most lounges across the globe, when compared with other U.S. credit card offerings. As of 11/2017
- Terms Apply
- See Rates & Fees