This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
We’ve known for quite some time now that Singapore Airlines is refreshing its A380s. On November 2, the carrier will show off its new Suites, business class, premium economy and economy seats in Singapore. And while it’s still unclear what the refreshed cabin will look like, we now know where the new seats will be flying first. Singapore announced Thursday that it’s debuting the new A380 aircraft on its Singapore (SIN) to Sydney (SYD) route in December 2017.
The carrier confirmed that all four cabins on its A380 aircraft — Suites, business, premium economy and economy — will get a refresh. The new seats will initially be fitted on five new A380s that the airline has on order with Airbus. The first flight with the new A380 will operate as follows:
- December 18
- SQ221 Singapore (SIN) 8:40pm Departure ⇒ Sydney (SYD) 7:40am (+1) Arrival
- December 19
- SQ232 Sydney (SYD) 12:15pm Departure ⇒ Singapore (SIN) 5:35pm Arrival
The carrier said that in the coming months, it will unveil additional routes that will be serviced by the new A380s.
As of now, you can purchase a seat on the inaugural flight from SIN to SYD — both cash and award tickets are available. Unfortunately, however, there’s no Suites award availability at the saver level at this time but there is waitlist availability at the standard level (150,000 KrisFlyer miles one-way). There is the same availability on the return flight from SYD-SIN on December 19.
However, there is waitlist saver availability in business class. Of course, waitlist isn’t guaranteed. But, if you can get it at the saver level, it’ll cost you 58,000 KrisFlyer miles one-way. On the return flight (SYD-SIN), there is only waitlist standard availability for 90,000 KrisFlyer miles.
For those looking in the less premium cabins, there is waitlist availability at the saver level for premium economy. That award will cost you 45,000 KrisFlyer miles one-way. On the return flight (SYD-SIN), there is the same availability.
Meanwhile, in economy, there is waitlist saver availability for 28,000 KrisFlyer miles one-way. Alternatively you could purchase an award ticket outright at the standard level for 55,000 KrisFlyer miles one-way. On the return flight (SYD-SIN), there is the same saver waitlist availability, but the standard award is only available for waitlist.
It’s possible that Singapore could open up more availability for these seats in the coming weeks. Nevertheless, this is an exciting development, and is sure to be an improvement on the carrier’s already-sought-after premium products. Plus, the launch isn’t that far off. In the interim, stay tuned to TPG for more coverage from Singapore on November 2, when the carrier unveils the products for the first time.
As a reminder, you can transfer all of the major transferable currencies — Chase Ultimate Rewards, Citi ThankYou, American Express Membership Rewards and Starwood Preferred Guest — to Singapore’s KrisFlyer program. So, if you’re looking to make a redemption to check out the new A380 products, there are plenty of options to get points in your KrisFlyer account.
The American Express Platinum card has some of the best perks out there: cardholders enjoy the best domestic lounge access (Delta SkyClubs, Centurion Lounges, and Priority Pass), a $200 annual airline fee credit as well as up to $200 in Uber credits, and mid-tier elite status at SPG, Marriott, and Hilton. Combined with the 60,000 point welcome offer -- worth $1,140 based on TPG's valuations -- this card is a no-brainer for frequent travelers. Here are 5 reasons you should consider this card, as well as how you can figure out if the $550 annual fee makes sense for you.
- Earn 60,000 Membership Rewards® points after you use your new Card to make $5,000 in purchases in your first 3 months.
- Up to $200 for Uber rides annually. Credit and Uber VIP status available to Basic Card Member only.
- 5X Membership Rewards® points on flights booked directly with airlines or with American Express Travel.
- 5X Membership Rewards® points on eligible hotels booked on amextravel.com.
- As a Platinum Card Member, you can enjoy access to the Global Lounge Collection, the only credit card airport lounge access program that includes proprietary lounge locations around the world.
- Receive complimentary benefits with an average total value of $550 with Fine Hotels & Resorts. Learn More.
- $200 Airline Fee Credit, up to $200 per calendar year in baggage fees and more at one qualifying airline.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees