This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
It’s shaping up to be a very big 2018 for Singapore Airlines — the carrier will continue rolling out its new and much-improved Airbus A380s, and, in the second half of the year, will re-launch nonstop service between Singapore (SIN) and both Los Angeles (LAX) and New York, with the yet-to-be-delivered A350-900ULR.
While the NYC airport has yet to be announced — I’m putting my money on Newark — Executive Vice President of Commercial Swee Wah Mak confirmed today ahead of tomorrow’s new A380 delivery in Toulouse, France (TLS) that the airline is committed to offering the JFK-Frankfurt (FRA) flight going forward, which is the only SQ route to the US still operated by the A380. Additionally, the current Los Angeles to Tokyo (NRT) flight, operated by the 777-300ER, will remain.
“We want to expand in the US; it’s not about contraction, it’s about expanding and giving more options,” Mak said.
And that’s great news for travelers based in the United States — you’ll eventually be able to fly the new suites from New York all the way to Singapore, with a stop in Germany along the way.
While Singapore Airlines has yet to confirm the two-cabin arrangement for its new ULR aircraft, it’ll most likely offer business class and premium economy — so if you want to fly SQ in suites or first class, the one-stop option will be your best bet.
I’m reporting from Singapore’s first new A380 delivery at Airbus headquarters in Toulouse this week — you can follow along live on TPG’s Facebook page, along with my own Instagram and Twitter, and I’ll be sharing updates from the event and Wednesday’s delivery flight to Singapore throughout the week. Stay tuned for much more from Toulouse!
Know before you go.
News and deals straight to your inbox every day.
NEW INCREASED OFFER: 60,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION: $1,200
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
- Earn 60,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $750 toward travel when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®
- Chase Sapphire Preferred named "Best Credit Card for Flexible Travel Redemption" - Kiplinger's Personal Finance, June 2018
- 2X points on travel and dining at restaurants worldwide & 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- No foreign transaction fees
- 1:1 point transfer to leading airline and hotel loyalty programs
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards. For example, 60,000 points are worth $750 toward travel
- No blackout dates or travel restrictions - as long as there's a seat on the flight, you can book it through Chase Ultimate Rewards