Singapore Airlines’ A380 Is Staying on the New York Route
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
It’s shaping up to be a very big 2018 for Singapore Airlines — the carrier will continue rolling out its new and much-improved Airbus A380s, and, in the second half of the year, will re-launch nonstop service between Singapore (SIN) and both Los Angeles (LAX) and New York, with the yet-to-be-delivered A350-900ULR.
While the NYC airport has yet to be announced — I’m putting my money on Newark — Executive Vice President of Commercial Swee Wah Mak confirmed today ahead of tomorrow’s new A380 delivery in Toulouse, France (TLS) that the airline is committed to offering the JFK-Frankfurt (FRA) flight going forward, which is the only SQ route to the US still operated by the A380. Additionally, the current Los Angeles to Tokyo (NRT) flight, operated by the 777-300ER, will remain.
“We want to expand in the US; it’s not about contraction, it’s about expanding and giving more options,” Mak said.
And that’s great news for travelers based in the United States — you’ll eventually be able to fly the new suites from New York all the way to Singapore, with a stop in Germany along the way.
While Singapore Airlines has yet to confirm the two-cabin arrangement for its new ULR aircraft, it’ll most likely offer business class and premium economy — so if you want to fly SQ in suites or first class, the one-stop option will be your best bet.
I’m reporting from Singapore’s first new A380 delivery at Airbus headquarters in Toulouse this week — you can follow along live on TPG’s Facebook page, along with my own Instagram and Twitter, and I’ll be sharing updates from the event and Wednesday’s delivery flight to Singapore throughout the week. Stay tuned for much more from Toulouse!
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 80,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,650
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 80,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,000 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. Plus earn up to $50 in statement credits towards grocery store purchases within your first year of account opening.
- Earn 2X points on dining including eligible delivery services, takeout and dining out and travel. Plus, earn 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 80,000 points are worth $1,000 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories.
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on eligible orders over $12 for a minimum of one year with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.
- Get up to $60 back on an eligible Peloton Digital or All-Access Membership through 12/31/2021, and get full access to their workout library through the Peloton app, including cardio, running, strength, yoga, and more. Take classes using a phone, tablet, or TV. No fitness equipment is required.