Singapore Airlines’ A380 Is Staying on the New York Route
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
It’s shaping up to be a very big 2018 for Singapore Airlines — the carrier will continue rolling out its new and much-improved Airbus A380s, and, in the second half of the year, will re-launch nonstop service between Singapore (SIN) and both Los Angeles (LAX) and New York, with the yet-to-be-delivered A350-900ULR.
While the NYC airport has yet to be announced — I’m putting my money on Newark — Executive Vice President of Commercial Swee Wah Mak confirmed today ahead of tomorrow’s new A380 delivery in Toulouse, France (TLS) that the airline is committed to offering the JFK-Frankfurt (FRA) flight going forward, which is the only SQ route to the US still operated by the A380. Additionally, the current Los Angeles to Tokyo (NRT) flight, operated by the 777-300ER, will remain.
“We want to expand in the US; it’s not about contraction, it’s about expanding and giving more options,” Mak said.
And that’s great news for travelers based in the United States — you’ll eventually be able to fly the new suites from New York all the way to Singapore, with a stop in Germany along the way.
While Singapore Airlines has yet to confirm the two-cabin arrangement for its new ULR aircraft, it’ll most likely offer business class and premium economy — so if you want to fly SQ in suites or first class, the one-stop option will be your best bet.
I’m reporting from Singapore’s first new A380 delivery at Airbus headquarters in Toulouse this week — you can follow along live on TPG’s Facebook page, along with my own Instagram and Twitter, and I’ll be sharing updates from the event and Wednesday’s delivery flight to Singapore throughout the week. Stay tuned for much more from Toulouse!
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new card in the first three months of card membership. Offer ends 11/10/2021.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer expires 11/10/2021.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees