This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Update: Some offers mentioned below are no longer available – Starwood Preferred Guest® Credit Card from American Express
Singapore Airlines just unveiled a marvelous update to its already amazing first-class suites. With a huge swivel chair and a completely separate bed, this definitely is one of the best products in the sky.
The recently developed suites will roll out on December 18, 2017 on Singapore’s new A380 flying the route between Singapore (SIN) and Sydney (SYD). Singapore will be receiving five new A380s with the updated first-class product, although the airline has not made public what other routes they will fly on.
If you’re eager to try the new suites, here’s how you can book them with miles:
- First, you’ll need to log in to your Singapore KrisFlyer account. If you aren’t already a member, you can create an account for free.
- Then you’ll need to transfer points in from a credit card rewards account. American Express Membership Rewards, Chase Ultimate Rewards, Citi ThankYou Points and Starwood Preferred Guest Starpoints can all be transferred in to Singapore’s KrisFlyer program at a 1:1 ratio.
- And if you’re lacking points in any of these programs, you can get yourself off to a good start with a proper sign-up bonus. Cards like the Chase Sapphire Reserve and Chase Sapphire Preferred Card both have 50,000 point sign-up bonus after spending $4,000 in the first three months of account opening. The Platinum Card® from American Express has a 60,000 point welcome bonus after spending $5,000 in the first three months. And lastly the Starwood Preferred Guest® Credit Card from American Express currently has a 75,000-point bonus after spending $3,000 in the first three months.
- Once the transfer is complete, you can book the award flight. Right now, according to Singapore’s award chart, at the saver level the suite goes for 80,000 miles one-way on the Singapore to Sydney route. Unfortunately, we aren’t seeing any availability for saver awards, so unless you find saver availability you’ll have to book at the higher rate of 150,000 miles (plus about $49 in taxes). One-way flights are going for about $4,000, so you’d still be getting a decent value even when booking at the higher rate. Make sure you choose the flight that leaves Singapore at 8:40pm, as that is the A380 with the new suites. If you’re departing from Sydney, the flight at 12:15pm will have the new product as well.
If you don’t want to go all out on the Suites, you can try Singapore’s new business seat, which doesn’t look too shabby itself.
Biz seats at the saver level are easier to come by and will cost you 58,000 miles, but you might have to put yourself on the waitlist. Again, keep in mind that these seats are only on the SIN to SYD flight departing at 8:40pm or the SYD to SIN flight departing at 12:15pm.
If you want to experience flying in what feels like a private mini-cabin but can’t make it to Sydney or Singapore anytime soon, you can still fly the older suite from New York (JFK) to Frankfurt (FRA). If you can find seats at the saver rate, you’ll only shell out 76,000 miles one-way plus taxes.
Know before you go.
News and deals straight to your inbox every day.
Aside from the 75,000 points welcome bonus, Amex recently made huge improvements to the Business Platinum Card, including the fact that you will now earn 50% more points on purchases of $5,000 or more, earn 5x on flights and eligible hotels at Amextravel.com and cardholders will receive a $200 airline fee credit each year.
- Welcome Offer: Earn up to 75,000 Membership Rewards® points.
- Earn 50,000 Membership Rewards® points after you spend $10,000 and an extra 25,000 points after you spend an additional $10,000 all on qualifying purchases within your first 3 months of Card Membership.
- Get 5X Membership Rewards® points on flights and prepaid hotels on amextravel.com.
- Get 50% more Membership Rewards® points. That's 1.5 points per dollar, on each eligible purchase of $5,000 or more. You can get up to 1 million additional points per year.
- 35% Airline Bonus: Use Membership Rewards® Pay with Points for all or part of a flight with your selected qualifying airline, and you can get 35% of the points back, up to 500,000 bonus points per calendar year.
- Enroll to get up to $200 in statement credits annually by getting up to $100 semi-annually for U.S. purchases with Dell. Terms apply.
- Get one year of Platinum Global Access from WeWork. With this membership, you can access 300+ premium, inspiring workspaces in 75+ cities. To get this exclusive offer, enroll between 2/15/2019 and 12/31/2019.
- Terms Apply
- See Rates & Fees