This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
We all know Harry Potter is popular. If you don’t, it’s a mighty hefty rock you’re living under. We also know that theme park lines can be long. Really long. We’ve recorded waits as long as five hours at Disney World (and can’t quite figure out why people wait that long). But, what about a line twice that long?
That’s what happened this morning for the debut of Universal Orlando’s newest ride. Don’t get me wrong, we’re excited for Hagrid’s Magical Creatures Motorbike Adventure. But, even we didn’t anticipate this:
If you arrived early enough in the morning, the line was a more manageable six hours. Gulp! That’s still a LONG wait!
Maybe you’re thinking the numbers are exaggerated. However, we heard from folks who saw stanchions being setup for Hagrid’s line in Seuss Landing, which is a long way from Hogsmeade. And, TPG Family has one of our folks, Rona Gindin, in line to bring you the latest information on what Day 1 is like. Early reports from Rona are that it’ll be about an eight-hour wait before she gets to ride Hagrid’s Motorbike for the first time. Thankfully, Universal is handing out water and allowing bathroom breaks to those in line.
Mother Nature Throws in a Weather Delay
Almost 10 hours into the day, the weather has started to wreak havoc with those most committed. After standing in line most of the day, folks are having to wait while the ride closes intermittently for bad weather.
Fortunately for those waiting in line, the thunderstorms seem to be moving out of the area in the late afternoon. So, folks should still get a chance to ride, unless Orlando’s penchant for summer thunderstorms decides to have a late night.
Fans Having Fun Despite the Wait
TPG will have a full review of Hagrid’s Magical Creatures Motorbike Adventure for you shortly, as soon as Rona has had a chance to actually make her way through the entire line. From the looks of Instagram, some of the most dedicated Potter Heads have chosen to sit out Day 1 while others seem to be enjoying the heck out of the new ride. We’re there at the beginning and will have a firsthand look for you shortly!
If today is any indication, lines for Hagrid’s Magical Creatures Motorbike Adventure may push expectations for the coming weeks and maybe even months. Follow our coverage to learn more about the ride and making the best use of your time at Universal Orlando.
Read on for more Universal Studios tips and reviews:
- Why Now is the Best Time to Buy Theme Park Tickets
- How to Get the Most Out of One Day at Universal Studios
- Is Universal Studios Orlando Getting a New Theme Park?
- 5 Ways Universal Studios is Better Than Disney
- Inside a $3,000 Universal Studios VIP Tour
Featured image courtesy of Universal Orlando
Know before you go.
News and deals straight to your inbox every day.
WELCOME OFFER: 60,000 Points Terms Apply.
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,200
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: Delta Sky Club and Centurion lounge access, $200 annual airline fee credit and up to $200 in Uber credits annually
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 60,000 Membership Rewards® points after you use your new Card to make $5,000 in purchases in your first 3 months.
- Enjoy Uber VIP status and free rides in the U.S. up to $15 each month, plus a bonus $20 in December. That can be up to $200 in annual Uber savings.
- 5X Membership Rewards® points on flights booked directly with airlines or with American Express Travel.
- 5X Membership Rewards points on prepaid hotels booked on amextravel.com.
- Enjoy access to the Global Lounge Collection, the only credit card airport lounge access program that includes proprietary lounge locations around the world.
- Receive complimentary benefits with an average total value of $550 with Fine Hotels & Resorts. Learn More.
- $200 Airline Fee Credit, up to $200 per calendar year in baggage fees and more at one qualifying airline.
- Get up to $100 in statement credits annually for purchases at Saks Fifth Avenue on your Platinum Card®. Enrollment required.
- $550 annual fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees