United launches free inflight messaging trial on select planes
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Staying connected while flying with United might be getting much easier.
The Chicago-based carrier will pilot a free inflight messaging trial, giving select flyers the option to connect to various internet-based chat platforms without needing to purchase a Wi-Fi package.
Stay up-to-date on airline and aviation news by signing up for our brand-new aviation newsletter.
Only certain pre-downloaded apps are eligible for the pilot, including iMessage, Facebook Messenger, WhatsApp and WeChat. The free messaging functionality excludes sending SMS texts, photos, videos, as well as web browsing.
Note that the pilot is limited to flights between April 12 and April 18 on a subset of Boeing 737-900ER aircraft. Specifically, it’ll be available on what United dubs the “37K” variant, of which the carrier has more than 120 in its fleet. You can check the aircraft assigned to your route roughly two days before your flight using the United mobile app or website. Click on “amenities” and check if it lists “free messaging.”
United’s 737-900ER fleet is equipped with both Thales and ViaSat Wi-Fi satellites, and the free trial will work on both variants.
Connecting to the free messaging service takes just three easy steps, as follows:
- Join the United Wi-Fi network
- Go to unitedwifi.com
- Click on the “free messaging” option
United’s positioning this pilot as a test that could be expanded depending on performance and feedback. The carrier confirmed that it’s considering rolling this out more broadly, but that’ll be based, in part, on the six-day trial.
Hopefully, United sees the value in expanding this service. After all, messaging uses limited bandwidth, so it shouldn’t degrade the network performance for flyers who purchase an internet package. If you’re on an eligible flight, be sure to fill out the post-flight survey with your experience.
A handful of major U.S. airlines, including Alaska, Delta and Southwest, already offer free messaging. JetBlue takes it up a notch with free gate-to-gate Wi-Fi, which, of course, supports messaging as well.
Featured photo by Zach Griff/The Points Guy
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new card in the first three months of card membership. Offer ends 11/10/2021.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer expires 11/10/2021.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees