Which Airlines Offer Free Inflight Messaging?
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Staying connected to friends and family at cruising altitude used to be a pipe dream. Now, thanks to services such as Gogo and Viasat, having a live internet connection while flying has become the new normal. While JetBlue is the only domestic airline to offer free Wi-Fi, Delta is moving in that direction. In the meantime, a number of carriers do offer free inflight messaging.
Typically this allows you to connect your smartphone to the inflight network, where data-based messaging services like iMessage, WhatsApp and Facebook Messenger are granted access at no charge. Below, we’ll cover which airlines offer the service, and any notable limitations.
Note that even on airlines where free inflight messaging is offered, you’ll need to board an aircraft that has the proper equipment to deliver inflight Wi-Fi. You can learn more by reading our guide to the best US carriers for inflight Wi-Fi.
Airlines offering free inflight messaging:
- Air France
- Alitalia (free for Magnifica or Premium Economy class)
- American (Viasat-only, and limited to Facebook Messenger)
- China Eastern (registration required prior to flight)
- Delta Air Lines
- Emirates (only the first 20MB are free)
- Nok Air
- Norwegian Air
- Philippine Airlines (free for first 15 minutes or 5MB)
- SAS (free in SAS Business, SAS Plus; free in SAS Go for EuroBonus Gold and Diamond members)
- Singapore Airlines (Suites, First and Business Class passengers and PPS Club members can enjoy one complimentary Wi-Fi session per flight sector)
- TAP Portugal
- Turkish Airlines (free for business class and Miles & Smiles Elite/Elite Plus passengers)
- Virgin Australia (free Standard Package on domestic flights)
- Xiamen Air (registration required prior to flight)
Even if you end up on a carrier that doesn’t offer free messaging, a multitude of credit cards enable free inflight Wi-Fi.
For the latest travel news, deals and points and miles tips please subscribe to The Points Guy daily email newsletter.
Featured photo by Darren Murph/TPG.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new card in the first three months of card membership. Offer ends 11/10/2021.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer expires 11/10/2021.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees