4 reasons to upgrade to United’s latest mobile app
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
In the years leading up to the pandemic, airlines were already focused on modernizing the end-to-end airport experience by making it more touchless.
Some recent developments include self-check-in kiosks, automated boarding by facial recognition and touchless lavatories. But then the pandemic took hold, accelerating the need for a touchless future.
A key element to (safely) engaging with an airline is through a mobile app — allowing you to check-in, print bag tags, download a boarding pass and more all on your own device. Most major U.S. carriers have a robust app, and United’s is getting four exciting new enhancements.
As a Premier 1K, the United app is one of my most used (pre-pandemic, at least).
Whenever I have an upcoming flight, the app intelligently displays important day-of-travel reminders on the home page. This includes notifications like boarding time, flight status, directions to the gate and more. Once onboard, the home screen provides easy access to complimentary entertainment options.
Previously, this day-of-travel flow was limited to MileagePlus members. But on the latest version, it’s available to everyone, including non-frequent flyers.
Redesigned MileagePlus member account page
There are also some welcome changes for MileagePlus members. Recently, the Chicago-based carrier has been working to improve the My Account page on the United.com desktop site.
That new experience is now being introduced on mobile devices. For now, you’ll see phase one of the redesign — mileage balance and activity, updated Premier status qualification trackers, access to your travel credits, PlusPoints and more. And United is not stopping there — the carrier has promised more improvements to come to the My Account page.
With the latest update, United is making it easier for people with visual disabilities to use the mobile app.
Specifically, the carrier has increased color contrast, added more space between graphics and reordered how information is displayed and announced. This way, screen readers will be able to convert text to audio in a more seamless, logical sequence.
In addition, all day-of-travel screens will support screen readers in this update, making it easier to check-in, monitor flight status, track bags and more.
Improved consistency and navigation
In 2019, United unveiled a new livery along with a refreshed color palette. While it’ll still take a while to repaint the entire fleet, the mobile app has a new, yet familiar look.
Now, whether you’re booking a flight or checking in on your phone or computer, the experience will look and feel the same. In addition, the bottom bar has been retooled for easier navigation, and the “More” button has also been reorganized.
Though you might not be ready to take to the (friendly) skies, there’s one thing you can do now to help you prepare for that day — download the latest version of the United app.
With accessibility improvements, a redesigned account page and expanded access to day-of-travel updates, there’s more to love about the United app.
The carrier has also promised more updates to come. Hopefully, that will include support for widgets, something you’ll already find on American’s latest app.
Featured photo by Zach Griff/The Points Guy. All screenshots courtesy of United.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles after you spend $3,000 in purchases within the first three months of card membership. Plus, earn a $200 statement credit after your first Delta purchase within the first three months. Offer ends 7/28/21.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles after spending $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months and a $200 statement credit after you make a Delta purchase with your new Card within your first 3 months. Offer expires 7/28/2021.
- Limited Time Offer: Plus, get a 0% intro APR on purchases for 12 months from the date of account opening, then a variable 15.74%-24.74%. Offer expires 7/28/2021.
- Accelerate your path to Medallion Status, with Status Boost®. Plus, in 2021 you can earn even more bonus Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) to help you reach Medallion Status.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees