Our First Look at United’s Brand-New Aircraft Livery
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Aircraft liveries don’t materially impact the passenger experience, but to the general public, they are the brand — while most of the world’s population will never set foot on a United plane, many would recognize the carrier’s blue and gold colors, and the prominent globe tail design.
Now, following years of flying a design that was more or less a holdover from Continental — and a long, storied livery lineage — United has finally unveiled its new colors, falling more in line with the airline’s revamped overall aesthetic. Some elements have also made their way to the company-wide uniform redesign, expected to roll out in 2020.
“Cleared for takeoff” — nearly a full day ahead of schedule. Journalists are flying to Chicago for United’s official unveiling tomorrow — some may even be in the air right now, and probably won’t be so thrilled to see that United jumped the gun and shared its new livery the night before Wednesday’s much-anticipated event.
The airline even flew its refreshed bird up to Chicago under the cover of darkness early Tuesday morning — it’s curious that it’s come out of hiding just hours before the planned grand reveal.
Anyway, back to the livery — it’s… blue! So, so blue. The design itself is similar to the livery you’ll see flying on every other United jet today, with a recognizable font and a familiar globe on the tail. Just without any hints of the gold accents we’ve had for years.
This is all we get for now — but, tomorrow, I’ll be getting up close and personal with the new design at Chicago O’Hare (ORD), just a few miles up the road from United’s headquarters. We’ll hopefully learn more about first flights, rollout plans and other key details as well, so stay tuned for more to come later this week.
For the latest travel news, deals and points and miles tips please subscribe to The Points Guy daily email newsletter.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer ends 8/3/2022.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 bonus miles after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer ends 8/3/2022.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs up to two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide including takeout and delivery in the U.S., and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $80 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA PreCheck® after you apply through any Authorized Enrollment Provider. If approved for Global Entry, at no additional charge, you will receive access to TSA PreCheck.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees