United’s New Livery Will Be Revealed Next Wednesday
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
It’s official! Well, almost official, at least. As CEO Oscar Munoz hinted last month, United Airlines is gearing up to unveil a brand new fleet-wide livery. The airline has kept a very tight lid on the new design. Several mock-ups have leaked in the weeks that followed, but none appear to be authentic.
We’ll know for sure next week, though. United just sent out invitations for its big livery unveiling, scheduled for Wednesday, April 24, at one of the carrier’s Chicago O’Hare (ORD) hangars.
The new livery will replace United’s current “Globe” design — including this special “swoop” version on the Boeing 787 and 737 MAX fleet — originally adopted from Continental.
Then there are the specialty liveries, including this new paint job honoring the latest Star Wars film, The Rise of Skywalker.
United also operates several aircraft with Star Alliance liveries, which highlight the carrier’s worldwide partnerships, with a smaller UA logo below.
Prior to its latest “globe” design, United flew the “tulip” — the livery seen in this 2008 Boeing 747-400 photo below.
This gray livery was common earlier in the decade, as seen on a 747-400 landing in Sydney in 2002.
United flew this colorful orange, red and blue livery in the 90s, including in 1992, when this image was captured at Tokyo’s Narita Airport (NRT).
The airline pulled out one of its retro liveries to celebrate the 747’s retirement, meanwhile, dating back to the first 747-100 “Friend Ship,” which debuted in the 1970s.
Which elements of United’s current livery do you hope will stick around, if any? And is there anything in particular you’re hoping to see? Let us know in the comments below.
Featured photo by Zach Honig/The Points Guy.
WELCOME OFFER: 60,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,200
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 60,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $750 toward travel when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®
- 2X points on travel and dining at restaurants worldwide & 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards. For example, 60,000 points are worth $750 toward travel
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on orders over $12 for a minimum of one year on qualifying food purchases with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Earn 5X points on Lyft rides through March 2022. That’s 3X points in addition to the 2X points you already earn on travel.