United’s New Livery Will Be Revealed Next Wednesday
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
It’s official! Well, almost official, at least. As CEO Oscar Munoz hinted last month, United Airlines is gearing up to unveil a brand new fleet-wide livery. The airline has kept a very tight lid on the new design. Several mock-ups have leaked in the weeks that followed, but none appear to be authentic.
We’ll know for sure next week, though. United just sent out invitations for its big livery unveiling, scheduled for Wednesday, April 24, at one of the carrier’s Chicago O’Hare (ORD) hangars.
The new livery will replace United’s current “Globe” design — including this special “swoop” version on the Boeing 787 and 737 MAX fleet — originally adopted from Continental.
Then there are the specialty liveries, including this new paint job honoring the latest Star Wars film, The Rise of Skywalker.
United also operates several aircraft with Star Alliance liveries, which highlight the carrier’s worldwide partnerships, with a smaller UA logo below.
Prior to its latest “globe” design, United flew the “tulip” — the livery seen in this 2008 Boeing 747-400 photo below.
This gray livery was common earlier in the decade, as seen on a 747-400 landing in Sydney in 2002.
United flew this colorful orange, red and blue livery in the 90s, including in 1992, when this image was captured at Tokyo’s Narita Airport (NRT).
The airline pulled out one of its retro liveries to celebrate the 747’s retirement, meanwhile, dating back to the first 747-100 “Friend Ship,” which debuted in the 1970s.
Which elements of United’s current livery do you hope will stick around, if any? And is there anything in particular you’re hoping to see? Let us know in the comments below.
Featured photo by Zach Honig/The Points Guy.
- Earn up to 70,000 bonus miles. Earn 60,000 bonus miles after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Plus, earn an additional 10,000 bonus miles after your first anniversary of Card Membership. Offer Expires 4/1/2020.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free and Main Cabin 1 Priority Boarding on Delta flights.
- New! Get ready for your next trip - spend $10,000 in purchases on your card in a calendar year and receive a $100 Delta Flight Credit to get you there sooner.
- Earn 2X Miles on Delta purchases, at restaurants worldwide and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a 20% savings in the form of a statement credit after you use your Card on eligible Delta in-flight purchases of food, beverages, and audio headsets.
- Enjoy a $0 introductory annual fee for the first year, then $99.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees