United CEO Says a Livery Change Is Coming This Year
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
It appears as if 2019 is shaping up to be quite the year of change at United. Not only will flight attendants be encouraged to “show personality” while on the job, but the airline is planning to invest in paint, too. CEO Oscar Munoz said Thursday that United will roll out a new livery beginning in April. It will be, Munoz said, more of an “evolution” than “a revolution.”
The news came during the US Chamber of Commerce Aviation Summit 2019 in Washington DC. Currently, United leans on a modified version of the former Continental Airlines globe livery, in a nod to the merger between the two airlines in 2010.
According to FlightGlobal, the update “will incorporate some of the colors United has recently added to its branding palette that, for example, include the purple used for its new premium economy product and a new shade of blue dubbed ‘Rhapsody Blue’. One color that is likely to feature less prominently is gold, which is currently used as a cheatline between the white upper fuselage and grey belly, and in the globe on the tail.”
The fresh scheme will be introduced in phases, likely hitting new aircraft deliveries like the 787-10 first, with older jets to be spiffed up during routine maintenance downtime. United is scheduled to take delivery of 40 aircraft this year, including 20 Boeing 737 MAX 9s and 8 of the extended-length 787-10 Dreamliners. Perhaps it’ll also add the new livery to those blinged-out 50-seat regional jets — the ones with walk-up bars and closets for carry-on bags.
This article has been updated to reference United’s Her Art Here design contest.
Featured image by Zach Honig/The Points Guy.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new card in the first three months of card membership. Offer ends 11/10/2021.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer expires 11/10/2021.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees