United’s 50-Seat CRJ550 Will Offer Large First-Class Cabin, Snack Bar
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Bombardier’s commercial jet program has really been on a roll recently. Last year, the manufacturer joined forces with Airbus for the popular A220 series while also going to great lengths to improve passenger comfort on one of its largest regional jets, the CRJ900.
Now, in a somewhat-unexpected move, Bombardier is introducing a new variant of sorts, in partnership with United. The CRJ550 — which, until today, essentially didn’t exist — is a 50-seat version of the CRJ700, headed to some of United’s more profitable regional routes.
The CRJ550 is based on the existing CRJ700 fuselage — the adjustments are largely cosmetic, which should make it possible to quickly gain certification from Transport Canada and the FAA, shutdown issues aside.
While United’s 700s offer six first class seats, 16 in Economy Plus and 48 in coach, for a total of 70 seats, the CRJ550 will sport just 50 in the same fuselage, with more space throughout. United will be adding a whopping 10 seats in first class, arranged in a 1-2 configuration, plus 20 in Economy Plus and 20 in coach.
Best yet, the 550 will offer a total of four storage closets, allowing most passengers to store their carry-on bags in the cabin rather than checking them at the gate. First-class flyers, meanwhile, will have access to a self-service drink and snack station in the premium cabin — certainly an unusual sight on a regional jet.
United plans to operate its CRJ550s on premium regional routes of up to 900 miles, replacing current 50-seat aircraft, such as the Embraer 145.
So far, the airline only confirmed that it’ll fly between Chicago (ORD) and Walmart’s headquarters in Bentonville, Arkansas (XNA). United is apparently losing out on business from Walmart employees and suppliers looking to fly in premium cabins — with more first-class seats on the way, XNA flyers will have an easier time booking premium-cabin United travel between Arkansas and Asia.
With 50 CRJ550s already ordered, and the potential to add more later, we’ll see them on many more routes out of Chicago, in addition to regional flights from other United hubs, including Newark (EWR) on the East Coast. Pending government approval, United’s regional jet operator GoJet is expected to begin flying the 550 by the second half of this year.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 80,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,650
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 80,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,000 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. Plus earn up to $50 in statement credits towards grocery store purchases within your first year of account opening.
- Earn 2X points on dining including eligible delivery services, takeout and dining out and travel. Plus, earn 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 80,000 points are worth $1,000 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories.
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on eligible orders over $12 for a minimum of one year with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.
- Get up to $60 back on an eligible Peloton Digital or All-Access Membership through 12/31/2021, and get full access to their workout library through the Peloton app, including cardio, running, strength, yoga, and more. Take classes using a phone, tablet, or TV. No fitness equipment is required.