United Encourages Crew to ‘Show Personality’ in PA Announcements
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
It’s a moment many frequent flyers dread — just after takeoff, the flight attendant activates the PA, pausing the in-flight entertainment and immediately waking anyone lucky enough to have dozed off after boarding “to share more details of today’s flight.”
Typically, it’s a mix of a rehash of previous announcements and some additional info, including the flight time, meal service, drink options, lavatory procedures — and, if you’re especially lucky, a “special offer” for a co-branded credit card, often incorporating some creative marketing claims.
If you tend to stick to one airline, and travel often, you may have even memorized these announcements word-for-word. How’s that? Well, flight attendants frequently read a script, either from a company-issued mobile device or old-fashioned paper printouts.
Now, United’s hoping to shake things up a bit, even encouraging crew members to work some “personality” into their announcements. Among the changes:
- United’s trimming the length of announcements by 20%
- Announcements can be flexible, “allowing you to make it your own by showing your personality.”
- The airline’s making its script easier to read, creating “a better listening experience for our customers.”
United acknowledged the change, adding “Our new onboard announcements are a result of feedback from our flight attendants. They reflect a lighter and more conversational tone, as part of our larger effort to improve the customer experience.”
Personally, I’m thrilled that United’s trimming the announcement length — currently, they can take several minutes to get through, especially with translations on international flights. As for the option to add “personality,” while Southwest’s funky PA videos can be fun to watch online, in the moment I think I’d prefer that crew members use these new creative freedoms to make their announcements as short as possible, leaving the beverage list for the seat-back pocket rather than reading options aloud, for example.
Featured photo by Zach Honig/TPG.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new card in the first three months of card membership. Offer ends 11/10/2021.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer expires 11/10/2021.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees