Tips From the World’s Most Frequent Flyer: Do Your Amenity Research!
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Given the level of excitement surrounding any Stuker-related milestone, I decided to join the world’s most frequent flyer for a big trip to Australia, flying a whopping 20,000 miles round-trip for just little more than 24 hours spent on the ground.
It was quite the whirlwind, as you might imagine. Still, Tom had plenty of time to offer up some of his top traveler tips during our ultra-long-haul trip. We’ll be sharing something new each week, on the site, @thepointsguy’s Instagram account and YouTube as well.
In our first installment, Tom explains how doing research before a flight will ensure you don’t miss out on any goodies. United, his airline of choice, offers mattress pads and pajamas on certain long-haul flights, but you have to know to ask — unlike pillows, blankets and amenity kits, those items won’t be waiting at your seat. He also shares a fantastic tip for any unused items you’re thinking about leaving behind.
Featured photo by Zach Honig/TPG.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 80,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,650
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 80,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,000 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. Plus earn up to $50 in statement credits towards grocery store purchases within your first year of account opening.
- Earn 2X points on dining including eligible delivery services, takeout and dining out and travel. Plus, earn 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 80,000 points are worth $1,000 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories.
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on eligible orders over $12 for a minimum of one year with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.
- Get up to $60 back on an eligible Peloton Digital or All-Access Membership through 12/31/2021, and get full access to their workout library through the Peloton app, including cardio, running, strength, yoga, and more. Take classes using a phone, tablet, or TV. No fitness equipment is required.