United Airlines marks new Denver gates with more long-haul seats
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
The Star Alliance carrier will shift its nonstop flights between Denver (DEN) and Frankfurt (FRA), London Heathrow (LHR) and Tokyo Narita (NRT) to Boeing 787-9 jets this summer, United said Friday. The mid-size Dreamliner that seats for 252 passengers replaces smaller 787-8s with 219 seats on all three routes.
The upgrades come as United and the city of Denver mark the signing of a new agreement that expands the airline’s footprint at the airport to 90 gates by 2022.
“These additional gates will take the starring role Denver plays in our growth strategy to a new level,” said United CEO Oscar Munoz in a statement. “It will mean more seats, more connections and more destinations as Denver continues to extend the global reach of its businesses and communities.”
United is Denver’s largest airline carrying nearly 45% of the 63.2 million travelers that passed through the airport during the first 11 months of 2019, airport data shows. The airport’s second and third largest, Southwest Airlines and hometown Frontier Airlines, had a 27% and 12% passenger share, respectively.
View this post on Instagram
On Friday, Munoz joined Denver Mayor Michael Hancock and airport officials to sign the new gate agreement. United will take control of 24 gates on Concourses A and B — 23 on A, including 12 that are under construction, and one being built on B — for a total of 90 gates at the airport.
The airline plans to grow significantly in Denver, where it established a hub in 1982, with the added gates. Departures are forecast to exceed 700 flights a day by 2025, nearly a third more than the 540 scheduled departures this summer.
The Mile High City expansion comes as United plans to grow system capacity by 4-6% year-over-year in 2020.
Denver is in the middle of a $1.5 billion concourse expansion program that will add 12 gates to Concourse A, one on B — 11 are being built but they replace former regional gates — and 16 on C. How the remaining new gates will be divided among airlines remains to be seen.
Southwest has requested the 16 gates being built on Concourse C, a request that TPG understands will be met with details unveiled in the coming weeks.
Frontier has not indicated its gate plans in Denver. The airline added a ninth gate to its portfolio last year.
Denver, the fifth busiest airport in the U.S., was forecast to handle a record nearly 70 million passengers in 2019.
Featured image courtesy of Denver International Airport.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new card in the first three months of card membership. Offer ends 11/10/2021.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer expires 11/10/2021.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees