Denver airport will get the first of 3 new outdoor patios this year
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
The concourse expansion underway at Denver International Airport includes at least one amenity that travelers and avgeeks alike will love: three new outdoor patios.
The $1.5 billion expansion that will see all three of the airport’s concourses extended and 39 new gates added includes new outdoor patios on the western ends of Concourses A and B, and one on the eastern end of Concourse C, Denver Airport (DEN) spokesperson Alex Renteria confirmed to TPG.
The first patio, on Concourse B, is scheduled to open by year-end, with the other two by the end of 2021, she said.
Denver is not the first airport to add outdoor patios inside security for passengers, but it is one of the few offering them to all travelers — and not just those on certain airlines. Delta Air Lines offers outdoor patios in several of its lounges, including at Atlanta (ATL) and New York John F. Kennedy (JFK), and United Airlines offers one at Los Angeles (LAX).
Baltimore/Washington (BWI) has an outdoor patio for travelers using Concourses D and E there. However, the patio is often closed.
Denver’s new patios will be convenient for passengers on the airport’s biggest carriers. United Airlines uses Concourse B and is seeking the gates on the western end of Concourse A where the patio is located, while Alaska Airlines, Spirit Airlines and Southwest Airlines use Concourse C.
Denver Airport was the fifth busiest in the U.S. with 64.5 million passengers in 2018, according to airport and U.S. Federal Aviation Administration data. Year-to-date through October 2019, traffic in Denver was up 7.3% year-over-year to 57.9 million passengers.
A Denver City Council committee will hear a proposal by the airport and United on the carrier taking 13 of the under-construction gates is scheduled for Wednesday.
Featured image by milehightraveler/Getty Images.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 80,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,600
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 80,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,000 toward travel when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®.
- 2X points on travel and dining at restaurants worldwide, eligible delivery services, takeout and dining out & 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards. For example, 80,000 points are worth $1,000 toward travel.
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on orders over $12 for a minimum of one year on qualifying food purchases with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Earn 5X points on Lyft rides through March 2022. That’s 3X points in addition to the 2X points you already earn on travel.