Denver airport will get the first of 3 new outdoor patios this year
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
The concourse expansion underway at Denver International Airport includes at least one amenity that travelers and avgeeks alike will love: three new outdoor patios.
The $1.5 billion expansion that will see all three of the airport’s concourses extended and 39 new gates added includes new outdoor patios on the western ends of Concourses A and B, and one on the eastern end of Concourse C, Denver Airport (DEN) spokesperson Alex Renteria confirmed to TPG.
The first patio, on Concourse B, is scheduled to open by year-end, with the other two by the end of 2021, she said.
Denver is not the first airport to add outdoor patios inside security for passengers, but it is one of the few offering them to all travelers — and not just those on certain airlines. Delta Air Lines offers outdoor patios in several of its lounges, including at Atlanta (ATL) and New York John F. Kennedy (JFK), and United Airlines offers one at Los Angeles (LAX).
Baltimore/Washington (BWI) has an outdoor patio for travelers using Concourses D and E there. However, the patio is often closed.
Denver’s new patios will be convenient for passengers on the airport’s biggest carriers. United Airlines uses Concourse B and is seeking the gates on the western end of Concourse A where the patio is located, while Alaska Airlines, Spirit Airlines and Southwest Airlines use Concourse C.
Denver Airport was the fifth busiest in the U.S. with 64.5 million passengers in 2018, according to airport and U.S. Federal Aviation Administration data. Year-to-date through October 2019, traffic in Denver was up 7.3% year-over-year to 57.9 million passengers.
A Denver City Council committee will hear a proposal by the airport and United on the carrier taking 13 of the under-construction gates is scheduled for Wednesday.
Featured image by milehightraveler/Getty Images.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new card in the first three months of card membership. Offer ends 11/10/2021.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer expires 11/10/2021.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees