The TSA screened more than 2 million flyers for the first time since March 2020
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
More than 2 million passengers passed through airport security checkpoints on Friday, marking a new milestone as the U.S. travel industry continues to recover from the COVID-19 pandemic.
Want more airline-specific news? Sign up for TPG’s free new biweekly Aviation newsletter!
The Transportation Security Administration (TSA) said it screened 2,028,961 travelers, the highest number since Sunday, March 8, when 2,119,867 passed through checkpoints at U.S. airports.
“The growing number of travelers demonstrates this country’s resilience and the high level of confidence in COVID-19 countermeasures, to include ready access to vaccines,” Darby LaJoye, the acting head of the TSA, said in a statement.
The milestone was largely expected to come at either end of the typically busy Memorial Day weekend travel period, the first major holiday weekend since the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) issued guidance saying that vaccinated Americans could safely remove masks and socialize in indoor and outdoor settings (although masks are still required when taking public transportation, including commercial flights). The CDC had previously said that vaccinated Americans could travel domestically “at low risk” to themselves.
However, passenger numbers fell just shy of the 2 million mark, with the TSA reporting 1.96 million travelers on March 28, the Friday of the holiday weekend, and 1.9 million that Monday.
Domestic travel demand has largely recovered to 2019 levels, driven heavily by quarantine-weary vacationers and travelers visiting friends and relatives.
Although business travel and long-haul international remain depressed, airline executives have said that there are signs of business travel beginning to resume, and several European countries have reopened to vaccinated travelers, including Italy and Spain, leading to a surge in bookings.
It is not clear whether the daily number of travelers can stay above 2 million without business and international travel. For comparison, 2019 saw normal volumes of 2.1 million through nearly 2.7 million on an average day. Friday’s passenger numbers were 26% below the same day in 2019.
However, the milestone suggests that the travel resurgence is, in fact, underway, and a busy summer travel season lies ahead.
Featured photo by David Slotnick/The Points Guy
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 50,000 bonus miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new card in your first three months of card membership. Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at U.S. restaurants with your card within the first 3 months of membership.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Earn 50,000 bonus miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months.
- Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at US restaurants with your card within the first 3 months of membership.
- Accelerate your path to Medallion Status, with Status Boost®. Plus, in 2021 you can earn even more bonus Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) to help you reach Medallion Status.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees