Spain will welcome fully vaccinated Americans starting June 7
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
There’s more good news for travelers looking to visit Europe this summer.
Following the news that fully vaccinated Americans will be allowed to travel to the European Union this summer, Spain has announced it will reopen to international visitors starting June 7. Eligible travelers must be able to show digital proof of vaccination, a negative COVID-19 test or proof that they recently recovered from the virus.
Spain will be taking part in a pilot program for the EU’s digital COVID-19 health certificate this month, with the goal of implementing it in time for the June 7 reopening.
Tourists will have to show proof of vaccination, that they have tested negative if they have not yet received the vaccine or that they have recently recovered from COVID-19. According to the Telegraph, Fernando Valdés Verelst, the Spanish tourism minister, said his country is pushing to make the digital passport “mutually recognized.”
“Spain is going to be ready in June to use this digital certificate,” Valdés Verelst said. “We are doing a pilot program in May, in all our 46 airports. We are going to give all these travelers that certainty. Spain is going to be ready in June to tell all travelers worldwide that you can visit us.”
United Airlines reacted quickly to the news, announcing that it would restart service from New York’s Newark Airport (EWR) to Madrid (MAD) and Barcelona (BCN) in July. The airline also said it would increase service from Newark to Rome (FCO) and Milan (MXP) in July, operating the flights daily. Italy recently reopened to vaccinated visitors, who can now avoid self-quarantine requirements when presenting a negative COVID-19 PCR or rapid antigen test.
Along with the vaccine rollout, digital certificates are seen as crucial for the resumption of summer travel. According to the Spanish news agency Europa Press, the country’s Secretary of State for tourism said the digital COVID-19 passports offer “a degree of certainty” for travelers.
According to Reuters, starting May 24, Spain will also allow tourists from 10 low-risk non-EU countries — including the U.K., Australia, New Zealand and Israel — to enter without presenting negative COVID-19 PCR test results.
Tourism — which was down by 80% in 2020 — is incredibly important for Spain’s financial health, accounting for about 12% of its GDP, which is why vaccination efforts are so important.
Currently, about 34% of the country’s 47 million residents have received at least the first dose. Government officials have said the goal is to have 70% of its people fully vaccinated by the end of summer.
Featured photo by Andrew Fox/Getty Images.
Additional reporting by Ashley Kosciolek and David Slotnick.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 50,000 bonus miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new card in the first three months of card membership. Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at U.S. restaurants in the first three months of card membership.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Earn 50,000 Bonus Miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months.
- Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at U.S. restaurants with your card within the first 3 months of membership.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees