Spain will welcome fully vaccinated Americans starting June 7
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
There’s more good news for travelers looking to visit Europe this summer.
Following the news that fully vaccinated Americans will be allowed to travel to the European Union this summer, Spain has announced it will reopen to international visitors starting June 7. Eligible travelers must be able to show digital proof of vaccination, a negative COVID-19 test or proof that they recently recovered from the virus.
Spain will be taking part in a pilot program for the EU’s digital COVID-19 health certificate this month, with the goal of implementing it in time for the June 7 reopening.
Tourists will have to show proof of vaccination, that they have tested negative if they have not yet received the vaccine or that they have recently recovered from COVID-19. According to the Telegraph, Fernando Valdés Verelst, the Spanish tourism minister, said his country is pushing to make the digital passport “mutually recognized.”
“Spain is going to be ready in June to use this digital certificate,” Valdés Verelst said. “We are doing a pilot program in May, in all our 46 airports. We are going to give all these travelers that certainty. Spain is going to be ready in June to tell all travelers worldwide that you can visit us.”
United Airlines reacted quickly to the news, announcing that it would restart service from New York’s Newark Airport (EWR) to Madrid (MAD) and Barcelona (BCN) in July. The airline also said it would increase service from Newark to Rome (FCO) and Milan (MXP) in July, operating the flights daily. Italy recently reopened to vaccinated visitors, who can now avoid self-quarantine requirements when presenting a negative COVID-19 PCR or rapid antigen test.
Along with the vaccine rollout, digital certificates are seen as crucial for the resumption of summer travel. According to the Spanish news agency Europa Press, the country’s Secretary of State for tourism said the digital COVID-19 passports offer “a degree of certainty” for travelers.
According to Reuters, starting May 24, Spain will also allow tourists from 10 low-risk non-EU countries — including the U.K., Australia, New Zealand and Israel — to enter without presenting negative COVID-19 PCR test results.
Tourism — which was down by 80% in 2020 — is incredibly important for Spain’s financial health, accounting for about 12% of its GDP, which is why vaccination efforts are so important.
Currently, about 34% of the country’s 47 million residents have received at least the first dose. Government officials have said the goal is to have 70% of its people fully vaccinated by the end of summer.
Featured photo by Andrew Fox/Getty Images.
Additional reporting by Ashley Kosciolek and David Slotnick.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 100,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $2,000
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Our best offer ever! Earn 100,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,250 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®.
- Earn 2X points on dining including eligible delivery services, takeout and dining out and travel. Plus, earn 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 100,000 points are worth $1,250 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories.
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on eligible orders over $12 for a minimum of one year with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.
- Get up to $60 back on an eligible Peloton Digital or All-Access Membership through 12/31/2021, and get full access to their workout library through the Peloton app, including cardio, running, strength, yoga, and more. Take classes using a phone, tablet, or TV. No fitness equipment is required.