Vaccinated Americans are raring to travel, survey shows, and are booking up summer vacations
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Americans are hitting the road — and skies — with a vengeance.
97% of users surveyed by TripIt, the travel management platform, said they plan to travel in 2021, with more than half planning to fly somewhere within the United States by June.
Want more airline-specific news? Sign up for TPG’s free new biweekly Aviation newsletter!
According to the survey results, COVID-19 vaccine rollout is a major contributor to the current travel boom. About 56% said that being fully vaccinated is the number one factor driving their comfort level with travel.
Notably, a third of respondents said they were planning to take a trip that was rescheduled from last year or earlier this year due to the pandemic.
The results are not surprising: the number of travelers passing through airport security checkpoints has climbed steadily since March, and has not fallen below 1 million per day since March 10. U.S. airlines say that domestic travel demand has mostly recovered to pre-pandemic levels, driven almost entirely by pent-up leisure demand.
Americans are also trying to use more than 20 million pandemic-era travel vouchers for canceled or delayed trips last year. The race to use these vouchers before they expire, coupled with the surge in travel demand, has led to long wait times for airline reservation phone lines in recent months.
Although the TripIt survey has some flaws — for instance, the survey samples the platform’s own users, who are likely more biased to traveling than the general public — it nevertheless adds to the mountain of evidence of a spring and summer travel boom.
That means that now is the time to make your summer vacation plans, before flights, lodging, and venues are all booked up! TPG has the guides and tips you need to begin forraying back into the world of travel, so be sure to stay tuned here.
Featured image by martin-dm/Getty Images.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new card in the first three months of card membership. Offer ends 11/10/2021.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer expires 11/10/2021.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees