The TSA screened more than 1 million flyers per day for the last 10 days
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
While nothing like the passenger numbers from 2019’s spring travel season — which hit more than 2.5 million people per day on many dates throughout peak spring break — we have achieved an important milestone. The Transportation Security Administration (TSA) says it has screened more than 1 million passengers per day for the last 10 consecutive days: March 11–20, 2021.
Want more airline-specific news? Sign up for TPG’s free new biweekly Aviation newsletter!
Throughout the last year, the coronavirus pandemic has suppressed air travel to a degree we haven’t seen in a long time. When the world went into lockdown last March, the TSA began screening far fewer passengers per day than usual.
TSA screenings dropped below 1 million on March 17, 2020, when 953,699 people passed through checkpoints. Screening numbers bottomed out at 87,534 travelers on April 14, 2020.
And, that trend went on for months. In fact, it wasn’t until Oct. 18, 2020, that the TSA screened more than 1 million people in one day since the pandemic began. On that day, 1.03 million people traveled through U.S. airports.
That was still less than 40% of 2019 levels, but the million-flyer mark is a symbolic threshold for the recovery of the travel industry in the U.S.
The day after Christmas, we saw five consecutive days that reached 1 million screened passengers and then three consecutive days hitting that mark after New Year’s Day. After that, passenger numbers ebbed a bit.
Of course, air travel in 2021 is still drastically down from where it was previously. According to the Bureau of Transportation Statistics (BTS), systemwide air travel is down 62% from 2019 and domestic air travel is down 59% from 2019. (Systemwide passengers are those on all U.S. scheduled airline flights — domestic & international — and domestic passengers are those on flights from one U.S. airport to another U.S. airport.)
But, as spring returned, so did flyers. And, 10 consecutive days of more than 1 million people screened at U.S. airports in March is something to celebrate.
What’s accounting for this frenzy of airport activity? More and more people are being vaccinated against COVID-19. Those that previously didn’t feel safe traveling are more confident now and are booking trips.
The time of year is also a factor. It’s a year into the pandemic and it coincides with spring break, a time of year where it’s traditional for all types of people to plan a getaway. Now that we know more about how to stay safe and avoid COVID-19, plenty of unimmunized people are also traveling — though they may be opting for trips to national parks or wide-open beach areas and staying in vacation home rentals, where it’s easy to maintain social distancing protocols.
According to The New York Times, “Over the past week, there has been an average of 54,949 cases per day, a decrease of 9 percent from the average two weeks earlier. As of Sunday afternoon, more than 29,825,300 people in the United States have been infected with the coronavirus.”
Featured image by SAUL LOEB/AFP/Getty Images
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new card in the first three months of card membership. Offer ends 11/10/2021.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer expires 11/10/2021.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees