The Island Featured in the Fyre Festival Promo Video Is for Sale — If You Have $12 Million to Blow
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Update: Some offers mentioned below are no longer available. View the current offers here.
The infamous Fyre Festival — the disaster that just won’t go away — hit our radar again on Monday when the island featured in the promotional video went up for sale.
In case you’ve been living under a rock since 2017, Fyre Festival was the fraudulent music event hosted by Billy McFarland and Ja Rule. Yes, the one with the cheese sandwiches.
Two years later, and Fyre Festival remains a popular Internet legend and source of endless memes. (Oh, and did we mention the documentaries are on both Hulu and Netflix?) So, when we caught wind that the island where the promotional video was filmed had gone up for sale, our attention was piqued. The private island, known as Saddleback Cay, is located in the group of Bahamian islands known as Exuma. It has seven beaches, a main house and even some cottages, according to CBS News.
The only downside? It will cost you a cool $11.8 million — down from a one-time high of $14 million.
I don’t know about you, but I don’t exactly have $12 million to drop on a private island right now. But fear not, because we are The Points Guy, so we have a few other ideas to scratch the itch for a trip to the Bahamas.
Because it’s just a short flight from the East Coast of the US, you don’t need to shell out all of your precious points and miles to get there. One of the best redemptions is using 15,000 British Airways Avios to fly American Airlines round-trip from Charlotte (CLT), Miami (MIA) or Philadelphia (PHL) to Lynden Pindling International (NAS) in Nassau — but there are plenty of other great ways to get to the Bahamas using points and miles.
As far as hotels, we suggest The Cove Atlantis or the Grand Hyatt Baha Mar. The Cove is a Category 7 Marriott hotel, so right now, it will cost you 60,000 points per night. (Apply for the Marriott Bonvoy Brilliant™ American Express® Card and you’ll earn 75,000 bonus points after spending $3,000 on purchases in the first three months of account opening. . If Hyatt is more your speed, you can easily transfer your Chase points over, so you’ll be poolside in no time.
But if you just can’t get the dreamy images of a private island stay out of your head, it’s also possible to book a private island resort with points. Yes, you read that correctly: You can stay on a private island for (basically) free. The points rates don’t come cheap, of course, but if you’re sitting on a stash of them, might as well put them to good use, right? Whether you want to stay close to home at Scrub Island or venture to the other side of the world to have your dream trip at the St. Regis Maldives, your points and miles can make you feel like royalty.
Cheese sandwiches not included, though.
Featured image by Shalamov/Getty Images.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 80,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,650
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 80,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,000 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. Plus earn up to $50 in statement credits towards grocery store purchases within your first year of account opening.
- Earn 2X points on dining including eligible delivery services, takeout and dining out and travel. Plus, earn 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 80,000 points are worth $1,000 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories.
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on eligible orders over $12 for a minimum of one year with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.
- Get up to $60 back on an eligible Peloton Digital or All-Access Membership through 12/31/2021, and get full access to their workout library through the Peloton app, including cardio, running, strength, yoga, and more. Take classes using a phone, tablet, or TV. No fitness equipment is required.