TAP Air Portugal Adds Airbus A330neo to First US Route
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
TAP Air Portugal recently became the world’s first airline to take delivery of the new Airbus A330neo, which will launch on the Lisbon (LIS) to Sao Paulo (GRU) route on Dec. 15. From there, the carrier has added the -900neo to four other Brazil destinations, including Belo Horizonte (CNF), Brasilia (BSB), Rio de Janeiro (GIG) and Salvador (SSA), with service launching to all four cities in 2019.
Now, we know when the airline will be bringing its new wide-body plane to the US — per @Airlineroute, TAP will begin flying the neo between Lisbon and Miami (MIA) on March 1, 2019.
Per ExpertFlyer, on that date, the aircraft configuration jumps from an older A330, with 2-2-2 angle-flat seating…
…to a brand-new neo, with a staggered 1-2-1 config.
Business travelers will notice the difference right away — the cabin is more spacious, with far more privacy throughout.
Economy seats maintain their 2-4-2 configuration, but feature more advanced inflight entertainment systems and an updated design.
As One Mile at a Time points out, TAP tends to offer excellent one-way business-class fares from Scandinavia, giving you an affordable option to check out this new aircraft. A one-way flight from Copenhagen (CPH) to Miami, with an overnight stop in Lisbon, will set you back just over 700 bucks.
Currently, TAP’s showing both the A330-900neo and a mix of older A330s and A340s assigned to the LIS-MIA route — while it’s possible the airline’s working to add the neo to all upcoming Miami flights beginning March 1, 2019, it’s just as likely that it’ll operate a mixed fleet for some time on that route.
TAP recently announced new service to Chicago (ORD) and Washington, DC (IAD), both launching in June 2019. These new flights, in addition to TAP’s existing routes to Newark (EWR) and New York (JFK), are expected to eventually shift to the A330-900neo as well.
For more on TAP and the A330neo, see:
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 80,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,650
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 80,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,000 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. Plus earn up to $50 in statement credits towards grocery store purchases within your first year of account opening.
- Earn 2X points on dining including eligible delivery services, takeout and dining out and travel. Plus, earn 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 80,000 points are worth $1,000 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories.
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on eligible orders over $12 for a minimum of one year with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.
- Get up to $60 back on an eligible Peloton Digital or All-Access Membership through 12/31/2021, and get full access to their workout library through the Peloton app, including cardio, running, strength, yoga, and more. Take classes using a phone, tablet, or TV. No fitness equipment is required.