This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
In 2010, I created The Points Guy to help teach travelers how to better use their miles and points for free travel. Over the years the site has grown to include extensive coverage of all things credit cards, aviation, hotels, points, miles and travel. In the process we’ve created an app to help maximize every dollar of your spend (which is currently undergoing a significant revamp) and helped launch cards with massive welcome offers like the Chase Sapphire Reserve’s incredible 100,000 point bonus.
If you’re unfamiliar with ExpertFlyer, it’s one of the best tools around. It not only helps flyers search for award availability, but also has access to airline schedules, live seat maps and more. You can even set alerts so that you’re automatically informed when an award seat opens up on a flight, allowing you to go in and redeem your points right away. It’s saved me countless hours searching for what can sometimes seem like a wild goose chase. I’ve been a fan for so long, I even mentioned meeting the “amazing” founder of ExpertFlyer, Chris Lopinto, in my very first blog post ever.
So, what does this mean for TPG readers and ExpertFlyer?
The biggest news is that starting today, ExpertFlyer Premium subscribers will have increased access to active alerts at no extra cost. You’ll now be able to set up to 200 alerts at a time. That’s up from just 30 before.
Additionally, ExpertFlyer intends on adding new features to its service, powered by Red Ventures’ deep experience in data science and analytics. It also plans on a redesign that will make using the search engine easier, and make ExpertFlyer an even better tool for travelers than it already is.
But most importantly, the new partnership will allow us here at TPG to create more data-powered posts that help you book the awards you want. We’ve already sat down with the ExpertFlyer team and started imagining the possibilities that can come from combining the redemption data of ExpertFlyer with the earning and maximization techniques of TPG. I think it’s the perfect match.
If you’ve never used ExpertFlyer before, or you’ve only used it sparingly, check out TPG Senior Contributor Richard Kerr’s guide to the basics of ExpertFlyer. And you can sign up for ExpertFlyer right here — there’s even a 5-day free trial.
In the meantime, we’d love to hear from you what functionalities and tools you’d like to see in a revamped and redesigned ExpertFlyer. Comment below or email us at firstname.lastname@example.org with your suggestions.
Featured image by JT Genter / The Points Guy.
Know before you go.
News and deals straight to your inbox every day.
NEW INCREASED OFFER: 60,000 points! With great travel benefits, 2x points on travel & dining and a 60,000 point sign up bonus worth up to $1,200 in value, the Chase Sapphire Preferred is a great card for those looking to get into the points and miles game. Here are the top 5 reasons it should be in your wallet, or read our definitive review for more details.
- Earn 60,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $750 toward travel when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®
- Chase Sapphire Preferred named "Best Credit Card for Flexible Travel Redemption" - Kiplinger's Personal Finance, June 2018
- 2X points on travel and dining at restaurants worldwide & 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- No foreign transaction fees
- 1:1 point transfer to leading airline and hotel loyalty programs
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards. For example, 60,000 points are worth $750 toward travel
- No blackout dates or travel restrictions - as long as there's a seat on the flight, you can book it through Chase Ultimate Rewards