Sweden opening its borders to Americans on June 30
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Americans with an eye turned toward Europe this summer will have yet another option in just a matter of days.
Sweden has said it will welcome Americans — along with citizens of several other countries — to its shores once again beginning June 30.
For more TPG news delivered each morning to your inbox, sign up for our daily newsletter.
Sweden has been off-limits to visiting American citizens for more than a year, but when the borders reopen on June 30 it will, interestingly, be easier for Americans to visit than some European citizens: Sweden has extended its ban on incoming European travelers who cannot provide proof of a COVID vaccination or recovery from illness, until at least Aug. 31.
The Scandinavian country allows travel — without testing or vaccination requirements — from neighboring countries including Denmark, Norway, Finland and Iceland.
Sweden is the latest in a string of countries that have been reopening to American travelers — some with vaccine requirements and some without. Just a couple of days ago, The Netherlands threw its doors open to Americans once again, without testing, vaccination or quarantine requirements.
As the pandemic continues to improve both stateside and in Europe, we’re likely to see this steady drumbeat of reopenings continue throughout the summer.
Remember if you do travel abroad — no matter the country — the U.S. government requires a negative COVID-19 test for all passengers, including U.S. citizens and fully vaccinated individuals, within three days before touching U.S. soil.
Featured photo of Stockholm, Sweden by Laurie Noble via Getty Images
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 50,000 bonus miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new card in the first three months of card membership. Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at U.S. restaurants in the first three months of card membership.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Earn 50,000 Bonus Miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months.
- Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at U.S. restaurants with your card within the first 3 months of membership.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees