The Netherlands to welcome back Americans today, with little restriction
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
As of Thursday, June 24, Americans can travel freely to the Netherlands: no vaccine, negative COVID-19 test or quarantine required upon arrival.
The Dutch government’s decision to expand entry options follows the June 18 announcement by the Council of the European Union to open EU borders to visitors from additional “safe” countries, including the United States, given the low risk of contracting COVID-19.
“Most restrictions are therefore no longer necessary,” the Dutch government said on June 18, citing sharp dives in both the “number of new infections and the number of people being admitted to hospital with COVID-19.”
For more TPG news delivered each morning to your inbox, sign up for our daily newsletter.
The absence of a proof-of-vaccination or negative test requirement makes the Netherlands an attractive option for those looking for an easier travel experience in Europe this summer. An outlier in the EU, unvaccinated minors from safe countries should be able to enter the country without issue.
Today’s deadline also adds persons from six other non-EU nations, including Albania, Lebanon and Taiwan. If you are visiting from a high-risk country, the Dutch government will still require a negative COVID-19 PCR test within 72 hours and a negative rapid test within 24 hours prior to departure or a negative PCR test within 24 hours prior to departure.
The only travel requirement for Americans to fulfill ahead of time is the submission of a health declaration, which some airlines allow you to complete digitally upon checking in for your flight, as noted by Dutch officials.
Today’s news comes just ahead of the country’s planned stage four reopening phase on June 26, when all establishments, including public hospitality venues, cinemas, concert halls and sporting venues, will reopen, along with the lift of the previous curfew regarding public drinking and purchasing alcohol.
The only notable on-the-ground restriction appears to be the continuation of the 1.5-meter social-distancing requirement that will remain in place through at least mid-August.
Although face masks will no longer be required in most situations, you will still be expected to wear one on public transport, including at train stations and airports.
For Americans returning home, the U.S. government expects a negative COVID-19 test for all passengers, including U.S. citizens and fully vaccinated individuals, within three days before touching U.S. soil. The Netherlands will offer free coronavirus tests in July and August for visitors, intended for those who are unvaccinated and/or required by their home countries.
Featured image by Nisangha/Getty Images
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new card in the first three months of card membership. Offer ends 11/10/2021.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer expires 11/10/2021.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees