The new Ritz-Carlton cruise ship debut just got pushed back — again
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Is The Ritz-Carlton Yacht Collection‘s first vessel ever going to debut? Forgive us, but we’re starting to wonder.
The new cruising arm of luxury hotel chain Ritz-Carlton on Wednesday said it had pushed back the debut of its much-awaited, 298-passenger Evrima for a fourth time — from July until November.
The company blamed COVID-19-related travel restrictions and regulations in Europe, where the ship was scheduled to sail over the summer.
For more cruise news, reviews and tips, sign up for TPG’s cruise newsletter.
“While we remain excited by the promise of future travel, given the unpredictable environment created by existing restrictions and the inability to safely gather our [crew] at this time, we have made the difficult decision to forgo our 2021 Mediterranean season,” The Ritz-Carlton Yacht Collection CEO Douglas Prothero said in a statement sent to TPG. “We look forward to welcoming guests on board Evrima in the Caribbean this fall.”
Evrima originally was scheduled to begin sailing more than a year ago — in February of 2020. But problems at Hijos de J. Barreras, the shipyard in Vigo, Spain, where Evrima has been under construction for three years — led to two significant delays in its debut last year that initially pushed back its arrival by 14 months.
A third, three-month delay announced in January was — like the current delay — blamed on the coronavirus pandemic.
The new four-month delay means the debut of Evrima is now 21 months behind schedule.
As a result of the latest delay, all Ritz-Carlton Yacht Collection voyages that had been scheduled through early November have been canceled.
The ship’s inaugural voyage is now scheduled for Nov. 10. It’ll be a seven-night trip from San Juan, Puerto Rico, to Castries, St. Lucia, that will include stops at the islands of St. Martin, St. Kitts, Guadeloupe and Martinique.
The Ritz-Carlton Yacht Collection on Wednesday said passengers on canceled sailings can reschedule their voyages for a later date or contact the line to discuss reimbursement options.
The Ritz-Carlton Yacht Collection has been touting Evrima as an upscale, yacht-like vessel that will appeal to Ritz-Carlton regulars with an elegant, residential look. The company is promising spacious cabins, a stylish spa and lots of deck-top lounge space for sunning, plus five separate restaurants. The dining venues, notably, will include an à la carte restaurant designed by Sven Elverfeld of the three Michelin-starred Aqua in the Ritz-Carlton Wolfsburg, Germany.
Planning a cruise? Start with these stories:
- The 5 most desirable cabin locations on any cruise ship
- The 8 worst cabin locations on any cruise ship
- A quick guide to the most popular cruise lines
- 21 tips and tricks that will make your cruise go smoothly
- 15 ways cruisers waste money
- 12 best cruises for people who never want to grow up
- What to pack for your first cruise
Featured image of courtesy of Ritz-Carlton Yacht Collection
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles after you spend $3,000 in purchases within the first three months of card membership. Plus, earn a $200 statement credit after your first Delta purchase within the first three months. Offer ends 7/28/21.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles after spending $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months and a $200 statement credit after you make a Delta purchase with your new Card within your first 3 months. Offer expires 7/28/2021.
- Limited Time Offer: Plus, get a 0% intro APR on purchases for 12 months from the date of account opening, then a variable 15.74%-24.74%. Offer expires 7/28/2021.
- Accelerate your path to Medallion Status, with Status Boost®. Plus, in 2021 you can earn even more bonus Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) to help you reach Medallion Status.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees