These European countries will waive quarantine for vaccinated travelers
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Stay informed with daily travel news by signing up for our newsletter here.
The coronavirus pandemic disrupted most of the world in 2020, with nations worldwide closing borders on an unprecedented global scale in order to flatten the curve of COVID-19 transmissions. Many countries imposed stringent mandatory quarantine restrictions for international visitors crossing national borders.
TPG founder Brian Kelly: ‘Why I oppose a quarantine for international travelers‘
The standard quarantine worldwide typically requires 10-14 days of self-isolation in an approved facility, and often calls for PCR or rapid antigen testing at least once during the traveler’s stay. But as vaccines continue rolling out around the world, nations have begun exploring protocols to maintain safety while opening up their borders to COVID-free visitors.
These three European countries aren’t the first in the world to implement updated requirements. The east African island country of Seychelles waived quarantine requirements last month for qualified incoming travelers, while Thailand is planning for a similar rollout to take place toward the latter half of 2021.
Details are still being ironed out in many destinations. But thus far, most eligibility for waived quarantines requires proof that the traveler has completed the full two-dose immunization cycle more than 14 days before the date of travel. Some countries are also requiring an additional negative COVID-19 test dated before travel, while others may still screen visitors for illness upon arrival.
“Vaccine passports” are a topic of hot discussion in COVID-19 circles, although implementation and consistency is still far from perfect worldwide. For now, travelers would do best to keep a close eye on local guidelines and requirements all the way up until the date of travel.
- Here’s what the vaccine may mean for your travel plans
- Where you can get a PCR test for travel
- Reopening soon: A country-by-country guide to COVID-19 closures
Unfortunately for U.S. travelers, Iceland, Romania and Poland will remain off-limits for some time to come. Borders have remained closed for nearly a year now, a development that seems likely to continue for months as the European region and the U.S. battle new, aggressive variants of the COVID-19 strain.
These countries in Europe, Asia and Africa are at the forefront of travel changes that may take place as 2021 progresses. As vaccines become more readily available and people approach herd immunity against COVID-19, experts predict that the world will begin to reopen more freely than it has in recent months.
Featured photo by David McNew/Getty Images.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new card in the first three months of card membership. Offer ends 11/10/2021.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer expires 11/10/2021.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees