Marriott kicks off a week of deals — see if you can save on upcoming travel
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Marriott is kicking off its second annual Week of Wonders promotions, and there’s a lot of potential deals to be had.
The hotel group is running a slew of different hotel promotions from Oct. 7 to 14. This includes bonus points on paid stays, discounted award nights and even discounts on luggage from Away, a luggage brand that’s pretty popular in the TPG hallways.
Here’s a look at of the deals that Marriott will offer beginning today and run through the end of next week.
For more TPG news delivered each morning to your inbox, sign up for our daily newsletter.
Marriott cardholders can earn 2,000 bonus points per stay
Between Oct. 7 and 14, Marriott cobranded credit card holders can register to earn 2,000 Marriott Bonvoy points per stay that is completed by Nov. 21, 2021. All Marriott credit cardholders are eligible for the bonus so long as their stay includes at least one paid night. The promotion should apply to all Marriott stays around the globe.
That said, Marriott tells TPG that this promotion is not retroactive. You must register for the promotion and then book and complete your upcoming stay for the bonus points.
Thankfully, this promotion stacks with Marriott’s ongoing global promotion that awards up to 3,000 bonus points per stay. Members earn 3,000 bonus points per stay on all-inclusive stays and 1,500 points per stay at all other properties. This means you’ll earn a 5,000-point bonus if you book an all-inclusive stay. This promotion runs through Dec. 21, 2021.
You can register for the promotion on Marriott’s website.
Save on paid and award stays
Discounts on paid stays
Marriott is also offering discounted hotel stays during Weeks of Wonders. Marriott Bonvoy members save 25% off standard paid nights at over 5,000 hotels globally when you book by Oct. 14 and stay by Jan. 17, 2022. You can view participating hotels and book discounted rates on the Wonders of Escape page on Marriott’s website.
While not all hotels are eligible, there are some hidden gems around North America. Just note that some cities like New York, Miami and London have few or no eligible properties on many dates, so your mileage may vary. All rates are prepaid but are refundable if you cancel at least three days before arrival, so plan accordingly.
Some good deals include weekend nights at the W Hollywood for $239 per night before taxes.
Or, you can book a weekend stay at the Le Meridien Denver Downtown for $172 per night before taxes this January.
You can also get up to a 15% discount on all-inclusive stays at select Marriott properties in the Caribbean and Latin America. You can book these discounted rates on the Wonders of Unwinding landing page.
Discount on award stays
Some points stays are eligible for a hefty discount, too.
Book a hotel included in the Wonders of Discovery promotion get up to a 33% discount on the award price when compared to standard award rates. Discounted stays will appear when you search for award nights on Marriott’s website. Last year, this translated to paying off-peak prices for a larger range of eligible dates. Marriott states that more than 7,000 properties are eligible for the discount, and you must book by Oct. 14. 2021, and complete your stay by Oct. 31, 2021.
This year’s promotion is similar to last wherein participating properties are largely offering off-peak award prices through October. This includes some high-end Category 8 hotels like The Miami Beach EDITION, which is pricing at 70,000 points per night on select nights in October.
If you’ve already booked an upcoming stay, see if it makes sense to cancel and rebook during the promotional period. If the cost went down, you can rebook at the lower rate so long as you didn’t prepay for your reservation and the availability is there.
Unfortunately, this promotion is limited by the fact that you must complete your stay by the end of October, so it only works for last minute trips. Likewise, many hotels are not participating and still price at standard nightly rates throughout the month.
Get a $300 folio credit on eligible stays
Marriott is also running the Wonders of Luxury promotion that gives guests a $300 folio credit when you stay two or more nights at select Edition, St. Regis Hotels & Resorts and The Ritz-Carlton properties using the rate code LUX. This can be used to offset the cost of golfing, dining or other on-property activities at eligible properties for travel until Jan. 17, 2022. Check out the promotion’s landing page for more information and eligible properties.
Earn triple points on home rentals
Finally, you can earn triple points on Marriott International’s Homes & Villas by Marriott International stays with the Wonders of Inspiration promotion. As a refresher, this program lets you rent premium and luxury homes and condos as vacation rentals through Marriott’s platform — sort of like a more curated Airbnb.
Earn up to a 55% bonus when you buy Bonvoy points
Marriott is also launching an offer that gives Marriott Bonvoy members up to a 55% bonus when purchasing 2,000 or more Marriott Bonvoy points. Marriott elite members are eligible for the full 55% bonus while all other Marriott members can earn a 50% bonus on their points purchase during the promotion.
This works out to a cost of 0.8 cents per point for elite members and 0.83 cents per point for non-elite members. TPG values Marriott Bonvoy points at 0.8 cents apiece, so this could be worthwhile for covering expensive Marriott stays — especially if you are able to book five-night stays and get that fifth night free. Always do the math and see if you’ll save money by buying and redeeming points instead of booking a paid hotel stay.
You can buy Marriott Bonvoy points with this bonus on its standard buy points page.
Bid on experiences
Marriott is auctioning off a handful of unique experiences during Week of Wonders. Dubbed Wonders of the Extraordinary, this promotion lets you use your Marriott Bonvoy points for commissioned artwork, private dinners and tickets to exclusive events.
Here’s a look at what’s being auctioned off:
- Golf Clinic with Collin Morikawa: Visit the TPC Las Vegas golf course for a driving range meet and greet famed golfer Collin Morikawa before playing 18 holes.
- You Make the Call with Wayne Mackie: Virtually join the NFL’s VP of Officiating, Training and Education, Wayne Mackie to review plays from last year’s NFL season.
- The Ritz-Carlton Ultimate Weekend in Abu Dhabi with Mercedes-AMG Petronas F1 Team: Be in the center of the action at the Abu Dhabi Grand Prix.
- Commissioned Art Piece from Artist Peter Tunney: Contemporary artist Peter Tunney will create a one-of-a-kind masterpiece for your home.
- Private Villa Culinary Experience at JW Marriott Venice Resort & Spa: Private dinner and cooking class from the Executive Chef of the JW Marriott Venice Resort & Spa served in your own private villa. You’ll also be treated to a tour of Burano and Murano islands.
Score discounts on Away luggage, Marriott products
If you’re in the mood for a shopping spree, Marriott has a deal for that, too.
The Wonders of Comfort promotion awards a $50 Marriott gift card for every $200 you spend at Marriott Bonvoy Boutiques in the U.S. You can use this promotion to earn Marriott credit while you stock up on your favorite hotel toiletries, bedding, bathrobes and more.
Further, Marriott Bonvoy members can use Wonders of Sophistication to score 30% off select Away luggage and other products. Here is TPG’s review of the Away carry-on.
Enjoy discounted flights, cruises and car rentals
The Wonders of Possibility promotion offers discounted bookings with select Marriott partners, like United, Emirates, Air Canada, Lufthansa, Cruise with Points, Hertz and Sixt. Not all are worthwhile, but it’s worth seeing if you can use them to your advantage.
For example, Air Canada, Lufthansa and United are offering up to a $50 discounts on select flights. Specifically, United is offering up to $50 off flights to Africa, Europe, India and the Middle East when you use the coupon “WOW50” at check-out.
On the other hand, Hertz is offering 3,000 bonus Marriott Bonvoy points on 2+ day rentals through Dec. 31, 2021.
Marriott’s back with its annual set of Week of Wonders promotions. Not all of the details will be helpful for all travel plans, but if you do have upcoming travel, it doesn’t hurt to price out some options and see if now is the time to book (or rebook). We’ll be running some more tests as the offers go live today and will update this story accordingly.
But remember, each of these promotions ends on Oct. 14, 2021.
Feature photo of the JW Marriott Venice courtesy of Marriott
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 50,000 bonus miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new card in the first three months of card membership. Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at U.S. restaurants in the first three months of card membership.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Earn 50,000 Bonus Miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months.
- Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at U.S. restaurants with your card within the first 3 months of membership.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees