LATAM to leave Oneworld on May 1, earlier than expected
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
LATAM Airlines’ divorce from Oneworld is set, with the two parting ways in May as the carrier paves a new path forward with Delta Air Lines and Qatar Airways.
South America’s largest carrier will leave Oneworld on May 1, five-months earlier than previously expected, LATAM said Friday.
LATAM will retain relationships with many of its former Oneworld partners after leaving the alliance. Travelers will still receive reciprocal lounge access, elite loyalty benefits, and be able to earn and redeem frequent-flier points on British Airways, Cathay Pacific, Finnair, Iberia, Japan Airlines, Malaysia Airlines, Qantas, Qatar, Royal Jordanian, S7 Airlines and SriLankan Airlines for the time being, LATAM said.
A notable exclusion from LATAM’s list is American Airlines. The two carriers will end their frequent-flier and reciprocal lounge access agreements on May 1, when Santiago, Chile-based LATAM departs Oneworld.
American and LATAM end their long-standing codeshare partnership this Saturday.
LATAM’s moves come as its pivots towards a new, broad tie-up with Delta Air Lines. On Sunday, the South American carrier will move into Terminal 4 adjacent to its U.S. partner at New York John F. Kennedy (JFK) airport.
Later in the quarter, LATAM’s operating subsidiaries in Colombia, Ecuador and Peru and Delta will begin codesharing, a precursor to a broader partnership between the U.S. and South America.
Featured image by Rafael Luiz Canossa/Wikimedia Commons.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 80,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,600
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 80,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,000 toward travel when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®.
- 2X points on travel and dining at restaurants worldwide, eligible delivery services, takeout and dining out & 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards. For example, 80,000 points are worth $1,000 toward travel.
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on orders over $12 for a minimum of one year on qualifying food purchases with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Earn 5X points on Lyft rides through March 2022. That’s 3X points in addition to the 2X points you already earn on travel.