LATAM to leave Oneworld on May 1, earlier than expected
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
LATAM Airlines’ divorce from Oneworld is set, with the two parting ways in May as the carrier paves a new path forward with Delta Air Lines and Qatar Airways.
South America’s largest carrier will leave Oneworld on May 1, five-months earlier than previously expected, LATAM said Friday.
LATAM will retain relationships with many of its former Oneworld partners after leaving the alliance. Travelers will still receive reciprocal lounge access, elite loyalty benefits, and be able to earn and redeem frequent-flier points on British Airways, Cathay Pacific, Finnair, Iberia, Japan Airlines, Malaysia Airlines, Qantas, Qatar, Royal Jordanian, S7 Airlines and SriLankan Airlines for the time being, LATAM said.
A notable exclusion from LATAM’s list is American Airlines. The two carriers will end their frequent-flier and reciprocal lounge access agreements on May 1, when Santiago, Chile-based LATAM departs Oneworld.
American and LATAM end their long-standing codeshare partnership this Saturday.
LATAM’s moves come as its pivots towards a new, broad tie-up with Delta Air Lines. On Sunday, the South American carrier will move into Terminal 4 adjacent to its U.S. partner at New York John F. Kennedy (JFK) airport.
Later in the quarter, LATAM’s operating subsidiaries in Colombia, Ecuador and Peru and Delta will begin codesharing, a precursor to a broader partnership between the U.S. and South America.
Featured image by Rafael Luiz Canossa/Wikimedia Commons.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: Up to 100,000 bonus miles
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,040
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 3X miles on United® purchases
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 80K bonus miles after you spend $5,000 on purchases in the first 3 months your account is open. Plus, an additional 20K bonus miles after you spend $10,000 in the first 6 months
- $250 Annual Fee
- Earn 3X miles on United® purchases, 2X miles at restaurants, on select streaming services & all other travel, 1X on all other purchases
- Earn 3X miles on United Airlines purchases
- Earn 2X miles at restaurants and on select streaming services
- Earn 2X miles on all other travel
- Earn 1X mile on all other purchases
- Each year, receive a $125 credit on United® purchases and two 5k-mile anniversary award flight credits. Terms apply.